Dock

Reaction score
I keep losing my icons off my dock & I am not to sure why . The other night I lost everything on my dock & had to try & find everything. I looked in spotlight but was unable to find everything that i had lost like my application support folder that I had in my dock. Finally got everything back except that in ical I lost all my things that I put into there. also all my address are gone. Not even sure where to look for them.
This morning I was on firefox then about a half an hour later it was gone. Very strange. I have a imac 20 inch. Have not installed anything recently either.

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Uh... did you drag the icons off the Dock?

That's the only way to remove icons from the Dock. (Well, technically, you could right-click and choose "Remove from Dock" too.)

And by the way, I hope you do know that the Dock's icons are just shortcuts to real files/folders.

So for instance, if "Application Support" is gone from the Dock, it's just the shortcut that is gone.

The folder should still be at

~/Library/Application Support

(~ = your Home folder)

Unless you added a file/folder to the Dock, then deleted the actual file/folder. (in which case, the shortcut in the Dock is now pointing to a file/folder that no longer exists)

If so, then the file/folder is truly gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Applications are on the left of the divider and are there until you drag them off. Other files which are to the right will disappear on restart.

The dock is for storing apps, not files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Applications are on the left of the divider and are there until you drag them off. Other files which are to the right will disappear on restart.

The dock is for storing apps, not files.

Not true... I have had my application folder on the right side of the dock for a bout a year, multiple restarts...

The dock is like Las Vegas... What is on the Dock.... STAYS on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Often times when I'm using my Wacom, and even sometimes when using the trackpad, I'll routinely accidenally drag stuff off the Dock, though more often it will be a shortcut in the side bar of any given Finder window. I take screen shots of what's supposed to be there periodically so I can put back what my hamfisted mouse action did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
LOL!

and...
just a thought, but... when i read that i assumed you were just opening the apps from the app folder, and they appeared on the dock 'cause they were open, but you were only quitting them by hitting the little x, so they were only closing. leaving you to assume they stayed on the dock.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't think that I explained myself very well as I was in a rush here this morning to get off to work.

Ok I know that I never took them off the dock because my applications like Firefox I would click on it to open it & it would not bounce just a shadow of a ? mark on the icon.

My i cal calender lost all of my dates that I had in there when I clicked on it. My address book was empty.

Where did it all go ??

I am still new to mac's so please excuse me if I don't explain things right still learning the lingo here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
each of those seems like a sepperate app issue that is not related to the dock at all.... but i really cannot help you there. sorry.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you manually change the name of your user account?

If not you could always try running DiskUtility and repairing disk permissions. Also, download MainMenu and run all the Cleaning tasks (for the System cache, select deep clean). Restart.

Restart will be longer because the system is rebuilding its cache from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
My thoughts exactly MHC. MrsRed, did you perhaps go up one directory level from your home folder and rename your user account's directory to something else, hoping to change your account name? If you have, it might explain this mess. Renaming a user account in this manner is one of the few things I am aware of that will really mess up a Mac. Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Agreed.. From the get go it sounds like you changed the "Home" folder name.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another Vote for the username/folder being changed. That is the only thing I have ever seen that will cause all that to happen, icons gone, data gone.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope never changed any names on folder or anywhere else. All that I was doing when it happened was playing a puzzle game. When I quit it that is when I noticed that things were not what they seemed.

A day later I was using firefox & left for a half an hour when my husband noticed that the firefox icon was gone from the dock. I know that I never removed it. He only knows how to open the browser do a bit of searching then close it off with the x. Very strange.

I have done a repair & verify disk & all seems well on that part.

Thanks for all the input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
This is an odd problem. If this was a windows computer I would suspect a virus or some other form of malware, but since its a Mac that pretty much is ruled out. Have you installed all of your updates from software update? Current OS version should be 10.4.10. If not, install all software updates and restart and see if that helps. Let us know if you have any luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Not true... I have had my application folder on the right side of the dock for a bout a year, multiple restarts...

Agreed. And if the mac can't fin the application or an alias it'll just show a question mark in it's place in the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MrsRed, all speculation about HOW this happened aside, I assume that you want to correct the situation! For now, I would recommend simply creating a new user account and transferring your personal data from the old one to the new one. This assumes that something has become corrupted in your old account, likely a Library preference file or some such.

To create the new account, go to System Preferences, Accounts and press the "+" sign in the lower left. Then fill in the required information, make sure that the account is the default account and restart. You should now have a pristine new account with everything looking as it should. If this works, then we need to move on to the issue of moving your personal data from the old account to the new one.

To transition your personal data, you can take any one of several approaches.

1/ Copy it out to an external hard drive from your existing corrupted account and then copy it from there back onto the Mac from within your new account.

2/ Use Finder - open a finder window from within your new account and go up one level, so that you now see your old account's home folder. Double click on that and you will now have a Finder window open in your old account. Now open another Finder window in your new account, and do the usual drag n drop from old to new.

3/ You can use Terminal.app, and a set of "cp" and "chown" commands to do a similar thing. To do this, open a Terminal.app window. It should open in your home folder. Type the following:

Code:
cd ../oldaccountname/Documents
cp -rfp * ../newaccountname
cd ../newaccountname
chown -R newaccountname *

That does it for the Documents folder. Repeat for your Music, Movies, Pictures and Sites folders and you will have transferred everything. These are the same folders you would have dragged and dropped in 2nd method.

Of these, the third one is likely the best, since it assigns the ownership permissions of the files to your new account once done.

4/ Other readers - are there any automated tools out there that would do this in a simpler fashion?

This leaves the not so obvious issue of transferring your Firefox bookmarks. They are hidden deep in your Library folder. I am guessing that the corruption in your account is rooted somewhere in the Library folder, so we don't want to copy it over. That would just corrupt the new account.

So, to transfer your Firefox bookmarks you will need to find them and move them over manually. To do this, start up Firefox in your new account, browse a page or two and then completely quit the application. This makes sure it has written out a bookmarks file, preferences, etc. Now, open a Finder window and navigate this path:

Library, Application Support, Firefox, Profiles
Double click the oddly named folder you see there

You are now in Firefox's main support folder. You should see a file named bookmarks.html. This file contains the bookmarks for your new account, and of course there isn't much of interest there.

Now, open a new Finder window, go up one level so that you can see your old account, descend down into it, and navigate down the same path outlined above. The "oddly named folder" mentioned above will have a different name of course in your old account. Now you should also see a file called bookmarks.html. Simply drag and drop this file from your old account window to your new account window and you are done! Close all Finder windows and restart Firefox. You should now have all of your old bookmarks.

This looks complicated when you write it all down, but it really isn't as hard as it sounds. Give it a whirl and let us know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
I was having the same problem when i got the mac and that was because i didnt knew how to install the applications properly. It Seems that u dont drag the app to ur application folder but instead u just double click the icon from the installer or something like that, try to installing the application again. I hope that helps, i dont think that is a user problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It *sounds* like MrsRed had things working initially and they have since failed. MrsRed, can you comment?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.