Macbook Pro Keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
Okay, so I was typing up a school paper. I was going at about 150 wpm and then all the sudden, the "x" key flies off. I have the key but I can't seem to put it back on. Its perfectly intact. There's nothing cracked off or missing, but I can't get it back on. Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Okay, so I was typing up a school paper. I was going at about 150 wpm and then all the sudden, the "x" key flies off. I have the key but I can't seem to put it back on. Its perfectly intact. There's nothing cracked off or missing, but I can't get it back on. Any suggestions?

I've had this happen before, but not on an Apple notebook. My guess is that the keys are clipped in place very much in the same manner.

Unfortunately, aside from doing it myself, I'm not sure how much I can help you. The keys are typically clipped into place with plastic tabs. Usually, you just need to get the parts aligned properly (a total of 2 plastic pieces that lock together in a scissor like fashion), hook them into the metal pieces on the keyboard itself and then press the key into the assembly, where it should click into place if done correctly.

This tutorial describes the process to fix a popped off key on a Dell keyboard. I'd imagine the MacBook Pro's keyboard is very similar. If you can't figure out how to get it back together, I think this should be repaired under warranty. The keys shouldn't come off under normal usage.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.