My First Macbook Pro - Help/Recommendations Needed!

Reaction score
Hey my names Matty, im from the UK, im looking for advice from anyone! :D

Im going to get a Macbook Pro for University (where i'll study Graphics Design), though I have another year of School. Spending £1500 is alot of money for me and i want to make the right desicions. Ive never had a Mac before.

- Is it worth the money getting the 2.4 GH over the 2.2 GH (both 15")? Im thinking it will be. Is the speed and graphics significantly different?

- I goto University in October 2008, Can I assume the NEXT Macbook model will be released by then? AND will that mean the Macbooks Pros will drop in Price? So would you assume its better to wait rather than buy Macbook Pro now?

- UK question. Is there anywhere recommended that has good deals/cheap Macs?

- And extra advice anyone can offer?

Thanks ALOT for your time!

Hope you can help me! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Whether the 2.4 is a worthwhile upgrade or not comes down to one question:
What do you plan to do with the machine. Specifically, are you going to play video games on it?

And there's a decent chance that a new revision will be released by October of next year, yes. The latest MBP was just introduced back in I think June.. so that'd make it about a year and a half (give or take a few months) old at that time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
- For me I thought it was worth the extra for the beefier graphics card; I plan on using Motion and some 3D modeling/animation software, and I might try some games too. I'm going to have this machine at least 3 years and probably nearer 5, so getting the best I could now should make sure I'm not struggling too much down the line.

- I'd expect the MBP to go through 2 revisions by then (at least 1 though). I don't know if they'll be cheaper, but they'll definitely be upgraded. If you can get through school/college for another year with what you've got then I'd wait to get a MBP. If you get it now, by the time you're into your third year of Uni (presumably the most demanding year) you'll have a 4 year laptop... it'll probably do, but it's not ideal.

- Apple's university store (phone only, or online via your campus network) has the best deals on Macs and accessories.

- What is it you're planning on doing at University? If you're only doing English or fashion design or whatever then you can get by with a much cheaper/older machine than you could doing 3D animation, film production etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i've just got my MBP pro yesterday, Im currently doing a levals and so far this thing is fan tastic. i went for the glossy screen and i love it.

i would wait to see if an updated version is out

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to say im studying Graphic Design at Uni which as you might know can involve Film/Animation/Audio Editing. Playing amazing games is a bonus.

So 'Levi' your saying the Mac Book Pro will be upgraded once maybe twice before September next year? When you mean upgraded, you mean not the model as in 'MBP' you just mean like Better Processor, Ram, Graphics?

Thanks guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
The clock frequency of a computer may be meaningless, that is only if you do not know the computer architecture inside... it all depends on whats *inside* the system. This means that 2.2 v 2.4 Ghz will not make much of a difference.

Updating the graphics card will definitely give you a big plus, especially if you're going to be working with videos / flash / etc. You should also look at upgrading RAM by purchasing RAM sticks from a computer hardware store. Newegg is a good start, though I don't know if they ship/operate in the UK.

OP
S
Reaction score
The clock frequency of a computer may be meaningless, that is only if you do not know the computer architecture inside... it all depends on whats *inside* the system. This means that 2.2 v 2.4 Ghz will not make much of a difference.

Updating the graphics card will definitely give you a big plus, especially if you're going to be working with videos / flash / etc. You should also look at upgrading RAM by purchasing RAM sticks from a computer hardware store. Newegg is a good start, though I don't know if they ship/operate in the UK.

Thanks for the help, im not entirely sure if you understand my point though.

Im deciding to buy one of 2 different Macbooks, im not going to upgrade anything myself, or thinking that far yet, thats above me atm lol :p

One Macbook Pro is good, the other is the same but has better Processor, Ram and Graphics Card. But ive already decided im going to get the better out of the two OR wait for Apple to release a upgraded Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I'm referring to your 2.2Ghz vs 2.4Ghz question.

"- Is it worth the money getting the 2.4 GH over the 2.2 GH (both 15")? Im thinking it will be. Is the speed and graphics significantly different?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz powerbook g4, 1gb RAM, radeon mobility 9700, combo drive
i'm doing photography and digital arts at my school and i can say that there isn't much of a difference between the 2.2 and 2.4 except for maybe a few seconds of rendering time. i usually check macrumors.com's buyer's guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/). according to the site, the macbook pro has a history of being updated on average every 186 days. however, just because the average is 186 days doesn't mean that it'll definitely be updated every six months. check the site maybe three months or so before you need to buy it so you can figure out whether to continue waiting or buy it then.

also, apple has a history of maintaining its price points for its products, meaning that the lowest end macbook pro will still cost however much it costs right now, just with updated hardware. if you don't need a laptop right away, i'd advise you to hold off on getting one until you begin going to school. that way, it'll be the newest it can be when you begin attending university and you can save some money by using your student discount.

OP
S
Reaction score
i'm doing photography and digital arts at my school and i can say that there isn't much of a difference between the 2.2 and 2.4 except for maybe a few seconds of rendering time. i usually check macrumors.com's buyer's guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/). according to the site, the macbook pro has a history of being updated on average every 186 days. however, just because the average is 186 days doesn't mean that it'll definitely be updated every six months. check the site maybe three months or so before you need to buy it so you can figure out whether to continue waiting or buy it then.

also, apple has a history of maintaining its price points for its products, meaning that the lowest end macbook pro will still cost however much it costs right now, just with updated hardware. if you don't need a laptop right away, i'd advise you to hold off on getting one until you begin going to school. that way, it'll be the newest it can be when you begin attending university and you can save some money by using your student discount.

Thanks that was extremly helpful :)

Just one more question: I can only use a student discount buying the laptop through the University Network? Meaning i have to wait until ive already started university. I wanted to get it a little beforehand. So yeah, do you know roughly how much you get discounted by being a student? If it was something like £100 i wouldnt be that bothered.

Thanks again ;D

Reaction score
For the Higher Education Discounts (14% discount), you can actually go to the Apple store itself & then check with the geniuses if Apple recognizes your university, & upon purchase will request for your student ID. IF you've had your student ID by then, it should be fine.

I got £100 off with the lower end MB. so I'd reckon you'd get more if you get the MBP. £1500 MBP----> £1290MBP. Not too bad of a deal i think. =D. There won't be student discounts for software & only the usual 6% student disc for stuff like mouse, keyboard etc. That's if you go directly to the store. not sure bout online store tho.

hope that helped.

Reaction score
Thanks that was extremly helpful :)

Just one more question: I can only use a student discount buying the laptop through the University Network? Meaning i have to wait until ive already started university. I wanted to get it a little beforehand. So yeah, do you know roughly how much you get discounted by being a student? If it was something like £100 i wouldnt be that bothered.

Thanks again ;D

Well I just ordered my MBP and it was $200 USD off the computer a like $100 off the warranty and even more off the HDD upgrade... I wouldn't know how it would work for you.

Try here: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukInd , it's the UK education discount store. Just type in your school name and city. Good luck!

OP
S
Reaction score
So can I get the student discount BEFORE I begin attending Univsersity? Like if I have proof of University acceptance?

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
It depends... here in the US with my university, I have to login to the Apple store through my university based-website. From there, I get redirected to the Apple store to buy the goods.

Call or e-mail the IT department of your university - see what you can or cannot do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.