2 sources to one pair of speakers

Reaction score
Hi I wasn't really sure where to put this so I figured here would be fine. I have a set of Klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers that I want to be able to use directly connected to my laptop when I'm at my desk and also through my airport when im not at my desk. My current solution is to have a splitter (2 male/ 1 female) that both my laptop and my airport plug into and combine then go into the speakers. Can anyone see any possible problem this could cause (damage to laptop/speakers/airport)? It seems to be working fine, the only thing ive noticed is when I accidentally played through the airport with my laptop still plugged in the speakers made some weird noises during the bassy notes of the song. Has anyone here done this before or know if this is safe or not? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have thought about this myself once or twice. I am not sure it is safe. A lot will depend on the components at all ends. A safer bet is to get a pair of speakers that accept two inputs and mix them electronically. These kind of speakers are surprisingly common. I have been in the computer biz for a long time now, and I just happen to have three different pairs of such speakers: a recent pair from Bose (only $100!) that I bought with this Mac, a really old pair from Altec Lansing (1999 vintage) and a pair of real cheapo CompUSA speakers I bought for a project I was building. So, very common, and likely safer...

OP
S
Reaction score
Ya that does sound like a safer alternative. I love the way these speakers sound though so I guess ill play it safe and only connect them into my laptop. thanks for the reply. Anyone else have a thought or have experience with something like this?
*edit* Nevermind I just found an aux. jack on the speakers , i'm pretty sure thats what you were talking about

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.