Probably a real easy question...

Reaction score
How do you change the default programs for certain file extensions? I want all my video files to play on vlc instead of some on quicktime, realplayer...etc.

M

MacHeadCase

Right-click on a file you want to change and select Get Info from the contextual menu items.

In the Open With section select VLC then click on the button Change All...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
This only seems to work with files already on your system. For example: I've set all pdf's to open with Acrobat, yet if I download a new one from somewhere, it will open with Preview...and continue to do so until I set if in "Get Info"....

Any way to change this?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you sure you had the "change all" selected?

i have done this with a few different types of files and it always works when i do it in the way MHC suggests - so, for example, any .jpg files i download or transfer from my cameras always open with xee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Yeah...and any pdf's I open (already on the system) open with Acrobat, so the change all worked...it's only with any new ones I get.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well it shouldn't do that...

maybe try resetting it to something else and then setting it back? also are you sure all the extensions are identical? i mean, they all should be pdf. not sure if there's a second extension for acrobat files that some of them may be using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.