new MacBook: Turbotax can't open file

Reaction score
I recently switched from XP to a MacBook and am having a heck of a time getting used to using applications on it. I'm using Turbotax and it suddenly won't open the data file (about 3 months of data) and I fear I'm going to have to start over:Angry: Unfortunately, I didn't put the datafile in its own folder as I would have on my PC (it's in the application folder). Nothing I do will open that data file. Anyone have any ideas, other than starting over?

Reaction score
TurboTax... can't open tax file

Azed... Like you, I also just switched from XP to an iMac. Yes, there are some adjustments, but it's been a nice switch for me.

Here are a few things to check to ensure you open your Windows created TurboTax data file using TurboTax for Mac.

1. First, TurboTax data files are 100% compatible between Windows and Mac.
2. Make sure you are using the correct version of TurboTax to open the respective data file. For example, use TurboTax 2006 to open your 2006 data file. TurboTax 2006 cannot open data files from another year (other than to transfer data from the preceding year to the current year). This is usually the reason you cannot open a data file.
3. TurboTax for Windows always assigns a TAX file extension to your data file. Make sure you are opening the actual TurboTax data file in your Mac version.

If you still cannot open the file, you can always send me the data file for me to check. I realize this is something you may not want to do and I fully understand that. But, at least it's an option you have. Send it to [email protected] and I'll follow up.

Bob Meighan, CPA
VP, TurboTax

OP
A
Reaction score
turbotax tile empty

Thanks for responding, Bob. I finally got the file open, only to discover that that no data shows in either Easy Step or forms mode!

This is what I was doing before I encountered the problem:

entered all the data for Federal taxes
then in State taxes, under capital gains
the proper amount was entered from Federal
but both spouses boxes were shaded
tried to change spouses in Forms view, but couldn't
reviewed everything in Federal taxes in Forms view, everything looked okay
debated printing out Federal form, but didn't:Angry:
suddenly got error "Turbotax 06 has suddently quit"
when I restarted, no data populated any of the forms or Easy Step boxes

Of course I don't have a backup of the data file. I have to file by October 15, and I suspect I lost everything when Turbotax quit suddenly. But why would the file size show 358kb and not populate the forms with something, not even personal data like name, etc.?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.