• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Had to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
See on websites i normally say that i like apple most of the time they would bring up a few why pc is better then apple but one time there was this guy that had a bit of a good point he said
My PC costs less then 300 and can run MAC OSX perfectly now i ask why wouldn't you just do that? i mean i love apple but why not?
(i would never use a pc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
well its not legal to run os x on a windows computer. the only way to do it is though emulation and such. not legal

Reaction score
Legally, you can't install Mac OS X on hardware other than Apple's. That guy prob has it illegally, i hear it can be done if you know what your doing...idt you can just take an install disc and load it up on non-apple hardware just like that....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A $300 PC is a $300 PC.....

Yes, it can be done, yes it is easier on some machines than others. There is no guarantee that it will continue to run as the OS is updated. Yes, it is illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
yea, apple has some patent or something that makes it illegal to run their OS on anything else but an apple machine

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
There is no guarantee that it will continue to run as the OS is updated.

...or as you add parts and peripherals.

;P

M

MacHeadCase

See on websites i normally say that i like apple most of the time they would bring up a few why pc is better then apple but one time there was this guy that had a bit of a good point he said
My PC costs less then 300 and can run MAC OSX perfectly now i ask why wouldn't you just do that? i mean i love apple but why not?
(i would never use a pc)

There is something written in the End User Legal Agreement (EULA) when you install Mac OS X that says you have to install Mac OS X on Apple hardware.

The guys you know that install it on a WinBox are doing something illegal. Plus I betcha anything they got a pirated version of OS X: if you can illegally install software or operating systems, what's to stop you from illegally downloading it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Even without the legality issues; I wouldn't even want to run a beta version of an OS, let alone a hacked version on unsupported hardware. That's just asking for trouble and complications; everything the Apple experience isn't supposed to be.

Windows is made to run on all those different configs, and look at all the problems that has; OS X isn't. The fact that he says it runs it perfectly really says something about OS X, but it's still not something I would use.

I think when you buy an Apple product you get the whole experience: a machine that's been beautifully designed from the ground up; not a box with a "random" assortment of parts plonked in it. Hardware that's been hand picked for performance rather than cheapest cost. A solid OS made to take full advantage of all that hardware, and for some lucky people the actual purchase experience; the best stores of any kind in my opinion. Every product out on display and to be used in any way you wish, live music, training sessions, technical support, the best education/student offers of any company in any industry, and staff that actually know what they're talking about (most of the time). You don't find that at PC World.

$300 only gets you an assortment of parts, and a cracked copy of OS X; it doesn't buy an Apple experience.

PS. I sound like a hippy now :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's against the law, only works with some hardware, You either run a Illegal Developer version or a newer one and have fun updating it. But again, it's against the law and please do not say the EULA is not the Law.

Also no talk about Breaking the EULA or pirating is allowed on the forums.

That $300 computer must be a TOP OF THE LINE machine!!

My Video card in my Gaming PC cost more than $300. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.