Minimized Windows

F

Fomer

Back in the day before I owned a mac. I found this snapshot... or one very similar with those "things" in the bottom. They appear to me, to be minimized windows... if so thats exactly what I want as I've never liked the idea of my minimized windows going in my dock.

Does anyone know how this was done... what app did it?

What Are Those.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That is no special app.

When you are using a program like safari and you click the Red Circle it closes out the window but the program is still running as you can see on the dock. Some programs do not do this (like iPhoto) but the majority of them do remain running when you close the red circle (I like the Dave matthews wallpaper that guy has)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
trpnmonkey41 said:
That is no special app.

When you are using a program like safari and you click the Red Circle it closes out the window but the program is still running as you can see on the dock. Some programs do not do this (like iPhoto) but the majority of them do remain running when you close the red circle (I like the Dave matthews wallpaper that guy has)
I beleive he's talking about on the bottom right, there's two icons that apear to just be minimized, but aren't inside of the dock.

I have no clue what app would do that though, sorry.

Reaction score
There was a hack for early versions of X called MinimizeInPlace which did that. It's not really stable and I doubt it works in Jag or Panther.

OP
F

Fomer

Yeah, Skad that's what I was talking about.

I think I found it... did a google search and came up with Unsanity's Windowshade X. I don't know if its worth 10 bucks to me. But def something to think about. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Woops....My safari screen wasn't big enough so I didn't even notice those things at the bottom right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I actually bought this last week (windowshade x) because the dock can hold only so many minimized windows. If its something you think you will use then it is worth $10, I think it is anyway. I usually have 5-6 windows open at once and its cool to be able to know which one is without having to click on it.

rberry88

OP
F

Fomer

Rberry... I decided the only way to know if it is is to give it (legal) trial run. I played around with it and noticed under the options "what to happen" when you click minimize button, double click title bar etc. But for the option "WindowShade" mine instead of doing what is done in the picture, my window just becomes a bar with the name at the top and the minimize, x-off, maximize choices... Anyway you could tell me how to turn on the option to make it appear, like in the picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Fomer said:
Rberry... I decided the only way to know if it is is to give it (legal) trial run. I played around with it and noticed under the options "what to happen" when you click minimize button, double click title bar etc. But for the option "WindowShade" mine instead of doing what is done in the picture, my window just becomes a bar with the name at the top and the minimize, x-off, maximize choices... Anyway you could tell me how to turn on the option to make it appear, like in the picture.

Are you talking about getting it to minimize into the little thumbnails??

Here is how I have the minimize option working:

http://home.comcast.net/~rberry883/onlinestorage/minimizeright.jpg

This is called the "minimize-in-place" option. If you just want the bar with the window title and the minimize,x-off,maximize choices then that is what the "windowshade" option does by hitting the Apple button on your keyboard twice.

If this doesn't help you let me know and I can try again.

rberry88

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.