• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

considering a return, PLEASE HELP/ADVISE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
hello everyone.
A few weeks ago, I bought a new MBP. I was very happy with it, except for a couple of minor issues. The space bar is slightly warped, and only registers if I strike right in the center, and the thing got really hot. Because I was going off to school, I decided to ignore these issues. But then the problems grew. Recently I noticed that the screen does not close evenly, it is a bit higher on the right side. I have made it a point to close it in the middle to avoid this from happening, but I guess it still did.

A big thing that really bothers me is that Dashboard, Coverflow, and Expose (especially Coverflow) lag. This is a pretty powerful machine to be lagging on such simple tasks. Also, it has been taking a much longer time to restart lately, about a minute vs 20 seconds when I bought it. And something that just started happening tonight was my Mighty Mouse would lose the ability to "click", even though I could still move the pointer around. This is fixed if I turn it off and on, but it has already happened again. And one other thing is that the light on the charger went out, but went back on when I disconnected/reconnected it.

I really do not want to switch back to a PC, but I am really feeling lost. I looked into the logic board issue, but apparently that only really affected the older MBP.

thanks,

chat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Learn to live with it? You can try resetting the PRAM to speed up your boot-up time. As for hardware issues, take it into the Apple store or call support line - I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
If you like the machine other than its faults, exchange it. I've been looking into buying one of the Santa Rosa MBPs as a toy for some time. They seem to have (so far) fewer known issues than the older MBPs, but as far as I can tell they're still nowhere near as reliable as I'd expect them to be. But then, reliability is a problem with most laptops, both PC and Mac.

In short, I suggest you ask yourself how much you'd like the machine if it didn't have the issues it does.

If you think you'd like it more than you would a PC laptop, exchange your MBP (consider upgrading to a 7.2k drive while you're at it, if you can) and get the applecare warranty.

If, after considering it, you decide that you'd rather go back to a PC after all, return the MBP and shoot me a PM (or preferably, an IM or E-mail; I rarely check my PMs) and I can recommend a decent PC laptop, which you'll also want to purchase the extended warranty with.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
I'm going to a have to slightly agree. No doubt I love this computer to pieces, and it's amazing. But I have some similar minor problems which I think should not even be happening with an almost 3 Grand computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.