• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Advanced GUI discussion

Reaction score
You've probably all seen the new iPod touch. (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/)
You've probably all seen the coverflow for finder.(http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/finder.html?)
You've probably all seen QuickLook. (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/quicklook.html)

Well. I posted a while ago on my blog about what I'd like to see happen with future releases of OSX.
I want to see a mode that is similar to Front Row, but for the actual OS. It would have a graphical layout of your current location and using the touchscreen technology it would allow you to select where you want to go. Previously visited locations that haven't been quit would be displayed as little icons or little windows on the side/top/bottom and files could be dragged to them like normal. The files would be scrolled through with cover flow and different viewing options would be shown up at the top (ex - in iTunes it would have something like: Artist, Song, Genre [those types of things], in iPhoto it would have something like: Date, Album, Roll [you get my point]). Also, the quick look would allow you to see the file before its opened, much like Leopard will already do.

It would be cool if this were an additional "mode" similar to how Front Row is, so there could be a more traditional GUI as well, for people that don't like this. Or if it were possible to expose(the fancy accented e thing should be here cuz I mean the OSX expose.. not expose as in to reveal something lol) the windows or move them away with the f keys like you can now which would show a normal desktop or drop area and then it would go back to this Front Row/Coverflow/Touchscreen thing. The dock would be useful to keep in this mode as well.

Anyway. I can picture it in my head but I can't explain it well.
Add your insights and we'll work out any bugs with my plan and add new features and make a really cool OS for Mac to sell to us lol.

Pee Ess - This would work best on an iMac. It would also work on their laptops. Desktops like the MacPro and the Mini would suffer because you'd have to purchase a special Apple monitor for touch screen ability. This is likely why we wouldn't see Apple go this route right away. Not until they can market their monitors (both external monitors and the touch screen ones that would have to be put into the laptops and iMacs) at a lower price. It would likely be too expensive to do anytime soon but I'm thinking the next 7 yearsish perhaps we'll hear more about this. Maybe before. Who knows what they've got cooked up.
Anyway. I'm out for real now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
A touch-screen iMac is a non-starter. Mine is two feet in front of me, and I can't actually reach the screen, let alone hold my arm up long enough to do anything useul.

Some kind of MacPad or PDA might use it, but not a desktop. The closest might be a large touchpad input device.

Experimental UNIX interfaces using a "flying" metaphor have been done in the past (one appears in Jurassic Park) and frankly they look rubbish - give me a list of filenames any day. CoverFlow is good for media files which have a visual aspect to them, but not for much else IMO.

One possibility might be Finder windows that shrink when they're inactive, so as you drag from one to another they expand in front of you, but this kind of interface HAS to be a) useful for everyone, and b) optional. And it would be tricky to get right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I always thought something ifrared would be cool. Where you have the interface as is. But instead of a mouse you have a remote with a left and right clicker and direct is accross the screen and click it as you would a mouse.

It'd be like the Wii system but with a mouse cursor there onscreen. I'd like to see that.

OP
H
Reaction score
microsoft.com/surface
I was showed this the other day. Something like this is kind of what I meant.
Maybe my idea could be implemented on something like this, instead of onto existing computer models.
The MS Surface seems pretty feeble. It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of usability. Apple could incorporate some of the ideas (the resizing images and auto syncing) with iLife apps as well as some additional software.
Also, maybe not a table. Something like a big flatscreen that could go on a wall or anywhere would be nice. You could also have a table stand for it. That'd be alright.
I'm sure Apple will jump into surface computing soon. They've always been one for putting out advanced technology that will push the envelope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I always thought something ifrared would be cool. Where you have the interface as is. But instead of a mouse you have a remote with a left and right clicker and direct is accross the screen and click it as you would a mouse.

It'd be like the Wii system but with a mouse cursor there onscreen. I'd like to see that.

Are you talking about something like RemoteBuddy?

I use that occasionally to use the Apple remote as a mouse while lying in bed with the MacBook hooked up to the 42" LCD on my bedroom wall.. It's quite nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm sure Apple will jump into surface computing soon. They've always been one for putting out advanced technology that will push the envelope.

But Apple will only do it if it's practical, and it's only practical on a tablet form-factor - and tablet PCs haven't exactly set the world alight.

As interesting as Microsoft's Surface thingie is, it's a solution looking for a problem. You don't think they sat down and said "Hey, let's develop a touch-sensitive table for use in hotels and conference rooms," do you? They came up with a kewl touch-sensitive gadget and then shoehorned it into a scenario where it might be useful.

Mice or tablets are practical for desktop computing - lets leave touch-screens for tablets and PDAs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Are you talking about something like RemoteBuddy?

Yes exactly like that. Except I was thinking about a new Apple designed remote designed just for the purpose of this. And like in bed or in a confrence or University lecture, something like this would really shine. it's so annoying when those people use a lazer pointer to point at the screen on the wall then have to walk back to the laptop to access the next page of the presentation. It really ruins their flow and makes the whoe experience well boring for me. I'm coming from a watchers/learners point of this. As I've never given one of these presentations ever.

I duon't know how practical this would be to develop cost wise for Apple. But if they ever did it I'd be the first one in line to do this. I think this combined with a wireless keyboard would be really good. As it's really hard to use a wireless mouse when your in bed or moving around a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.