Applecare - how to activate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I got my imac yesterday, it came with a seperate package (applecare) which had a DVD and a book with it.. Do I need to activate applecare or will apple automatically know I have it?
I put the DVD in and installed the software (techtool). Is this all I need to do? I have no other documentation telling me what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Yes, you need to register it. There should be instructions for you inside the box.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it didnt come in a box, it came in a padded envolope (just the book and cd on thier own), there is nothing else in there... sounds like i need to contact apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
My AppleCare came in a small box. Inside was a paper that said "web registration", a "Getting Started Guide" and a CD. I placed the CD in the computer and follow instructions to get it registered.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My applecare didn't come in a box, just a book and a CD. I can't find the serial number (it's meant to be on the box).

I've called apple and apparently i'm auto enrolled, PHEW!

anyone else having this trouble - save yourself money on the phone bill by going here: http://www.apple.com/support/ and typing your mac serial number in the box right at the bottom of the page (called "about your support coverage") - that will tell you if you have cover or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
My applecare didn't come in a box, just a book and a CD. I can't find the serial number (it's meant to be on the box).

I've called apple and apparently i'm auto enrolled, PHEW!
My AppleCare serial wasn't on the box. It was on a paper that was inside the box.

Interesting that you were auto enrolled. I bought my Macbook directly from Apple and I had to enroll myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, OSX 10.5.6
My AppleCare serial wasn't on the box. It was on a paper that was inside the box.

Interesting that you were auto enrolled. I bought my Macbook directly from Apple and I had to enroll myself.

Mine was a sticker on the cd cover inside the box.

Reaction score
'kay...i'm glad i found this thread..bc my apple care thingie came in a padded envelope too... didn't notice any serial numbers to speak of, so i'm hoping im auto-enrolled? i'll double check that envelope when i get home and that website, too...do we have to enstall that techtool, or is that just when we have trouble?

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very frustrating, being a brand new switcher I had no idea what I was doinf with the applecare. No serial number - nothing!

I guess that if you buy applecare with your mac, it is usually auto enrolled, hence - no serial number.

I am loving the mac by the way - sometimes it's a bit slow at doing stuff (final cut pro) but i've just ordered 2 gig of ram, so hopefully that will speed it up.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you buy AppleCare with your system youo are automatically registered. The serial number for AppleCare warantty product is the serial number of the system it was purchased with.

But you can always call Apple to be sure you are registered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.