Gaming on the Mac

Reaction score
I notice that a lot of titles do not make it over to the Mac. Since mac can run Windows with bootcamp. Can I run a windows based game with bootcamp?

How about DirectX, is that compatible with a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
While more games are becoming mac compatible (EA just committed to bringing a bunch of their games to mac) your mac should play any windows game perfectly on bootcamp as long as you have the HD space and meet the minimum system specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
If you hurry, you can still get the bootcamp beta for free. THats what I got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
If you hurry, you can still get the bootcamp beta for free. THats what I got.

I believe the beta is time sensitive, and will eventually be disabled... to continue using it you'll need to buy Leopard (not an issue for most but it will be for a lot).

I didn't get that from Apple, but from another (generally reliable) source, so it might be true, it might not... I don't use BootCamp and am going to get Leopard straight away; it's not an issue for me so I never bothered to look it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It does say it's time limited, but Apple will not disable thousands of people's Windows partitions. They'll just take it off the webpage and you'll just need to buy Leopard get it after that.

Back to the original question - install Windows with Bootcamp and you will have a fully functioning Windows PC and Mac. Hold down alt once it's installed and the machine will boot into Windows.
You can do anything you would do on a PC, such as play PC games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I did it and it worked flawlessly. I had Halo and Unreal Tournament 2004 on mine, and the graphics were amazing! But then after a few weeks of playing/using my mac, my graphics card went, and i my MBP was replaced, so i blame the games, but i don't know what the reason was for it, the Mac geniuses didn't even know.

OP
F
Reaction score
Bootcamp is only a trail version on Tiger? I think I may wait to purchase my IMac untill Leopard is released. From what I've read of the above post Bootcamp will come preinstalled and non-trail version on Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's not a trial version, just a version which is not 100% guaranteed to be working ('beta' software).

You'll still have to install it with Leopard, probably in the same way you do at the moment. The difference is that it will be 100% finished and as stable as possible. It will also be officially supported by Apple, so you can get help on the phone if you need it.

It's pretty stable at the moment, so it will probably be pretty much the same with Leopard, but with a few bug fixes and regular updates. Instead of just putting the final version on the web one day, they've let users (guinea pigs!) bug test it and give Apple the feedback they need to produce a 100% reliable version for Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.