• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

TI-killer ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz, 2 GB(667 MHz), 24 in., 320 GB, ...
would apple be able to make a: low-cost (under $100), iPod:touch-like, graphing calculator
(using something like the pacificT graphing calculator software)?

this would, IMO, completely redefine that market, but
would such a device be a TI-killer ???

what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
No. Texas Instruments has the market by its balls. Have you ever taken a math course in college or used a math textbook before? Instructions are ALWAYS for the TI-xx. I just don't think the market would be worth getting into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Not to mention the fact that I kinda like the texas instruments calculator. I knwo how to use and wouldn't want to have to relearn since operating a graphing calculator isn't 100% fool proof no matter how you design it, since there is math involved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I'm sure you could port the TI emulator over to the iPhone without too much difficulty. The only issue would be the touchscreen...real buttons are so much easier to push when you're trying to type fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I just don't think Apple would be interested. It's a fairly low volume and low profit market. And because of TI stranglehold on the market, the barrier to entry due to competition is considerably high.

No. Texas Instruments has the market by its balls. Have you ever taken a math course in college or used a math textbook before? Instructions are ALWAYS for the TI-xx. I just don't think the market would be worth getting into.

I second that! I just started a finance course this semester and a TI BAII was required for the class and the instructor teaches calculations on that version only. Who would want to go home and read a manual to relearn how to do it on their calculator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I just don't think Apple would be interested. It's a fairly low volume and low profit market. And because of TI stranglehold on the market, the barrier to entry due to competition is considerably high.

I second that! I just started a finance course this semester and a TI BAII was required for the class and the instructor teaches calculations on that version only. Who would want to go home and read a manual to relearn how to do it on their calculator?

The standard when I was in school was the TI-83. I always felt bad for the kids who had TI-84 and TI-86 calculators because they were always behind, trying to figure out how the heck to use their calculators to solve the problem at hand. Kinda reminds me of the Mac experience ;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz, 2 GB(667 MHz), 24 in., 320 GB, ...
i have to agree that TI has cornered the market, and
they are making ridiculous money (since the technology hasn't really changed in 10 years) ...

still, i was thinking that apple could envision a "sexy" calculator (with mad connectivity, graphing skills and support software ala numbers lite, etc.) that teachers/professors might drool over.

sure the current market is grounded in yesteryear tech (black/white lo-res screens, serial cable, wi-fi connectors as large as small pets, etc.). it just seemed to me that this situation was ripe for an apple takeover/makeover ...

i can see the ads: Hi, I'm iTouch '08 ... and Hi I'm TI 8-old ...

middle school kids would flip over this toy (capable of locally instant messaging).
if it got banned and labelled as dangerous, the hype would go through the stratosphere.
high school kids/college kids would love a drool-worthy calculator (in comparison to the TI).
teachers would find it compelling (since the TI-interface is dino DOS)
and could easily rework their lessons and libraries for a "sexy","hot" number.
online support/hosting would be second-to-none ...

actually the screen could be 4 times larger, but apple can do that two months after they launch the initial models ... :) (hee hee hee)

is this really hopeless or can it possibly happen ??? ...
would the margins be too low or could this have synergy with the iPod/iPhone phenomena ???

Reaction score
dude. its a calculator what do you want from it? a full blown entertainment experience? this is the problem with america, you need to sit down and pay attention not worry about 4.5" screens and 640x460 pixels and what ever else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.