• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This is classic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
You wont believe this, according to the ict technitions of my college "macs are not allowed on the school network as we our microsoft sponsored"
I Cant wait to see that smug look on his face when he see's vista running on it next month :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i don't think its legal for a company to pay off a university to ban the other brand of product.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i don't think its legal for a company to pay off a university to ban the other brand of product.

If it's not illegal it should be. NO ONE should have a right to make me use a computer or anything else that I do not want to use like that and Block all other brands that do not use their OS. Yeah, run Vista on Boot-camp and see what they say. I wonder what they would do with Parallels with XP or Vista running RIGHT INSIDE OSX?

:D

Also does it also apply to a REAL PC running say Suse or Slackware or Ubuntu? What I am trying to figure out if this is hatred toward Apple in general or just more Microsoft junk. If they also ban a Non Apple PC with Linux, at least they are being an equal opportunity banner! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I've heard some whoppers from IT techs. I think they like to play games with us because they grew up getting picked on, and get hundreds of stupid calls everyday from people who haven't got a clue.

You'll probably find they don't like Macs on their network because they won't know how to help you if you have a problem, and that would show that they really don't know as much as they like you to think they do, and that will bring back those painful childhood memories of being picked on.

Just say "no Macs" and they are the gods of knowledge again. Although they can't admit it's because of a lack of knowledge so they make up some story about how your tuition fees don't cover network access; it's all paid for by Microsoft, and as much as they'd love to be able to let you use your Mac on the network and help you with any problems you might have with it (they are the gods of knowledge you know), Microsoft won't let them, and if you connect your Mac to the network, Microsoft will pull all their funding and there'll be no more network for anyone.

Or something like that.... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
It works both ways. A friend of mine is in the graphic design program at my university. She is REQUIRED to have a MacBook Pro. Windows PCs...won't cut it. Not even allowed in the class with one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It works both ways. A friend of mine is in the graphic design program at my university. She is REQUIRED to have a MacBook Pro. Windows PCs...won't cut it. Not even allowed in the class with one.

I wonder if that is more due to Final Cut and not just the Mac itself as Final Cut is very much liked out in the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
I wonder if that is more due to Final Cut and not just the Mac itself as Final Cut is very much liked out in the world.
that would make a lot more sense.

Reaction score
Thats pretty weird, maybe you could sneak using Tiger after they see that you were running Vista on your Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

that would make a lot more sense.

It would make more sense if she would have to use Final Cut... I doubt a graphics design program would include video editing... different skill entirely.

It makes sense; I can almost guarantee that any design firm worth its salt is run on OS X. There's no point going to University for 3 (usually) years and coming out with a degree, then being refused a job everywhere because you don't know how to get round OS X.

My college course was run (almost) exclusively with Macs (the radio production studio was run on WIndows boxes with beefy soundcards). The video production lab was obviously all Mac because of Final Cut Studio, and even though all the DTP stuff (essentially Adobe CS and Macromedia MX) could have been run on PCs it was all done on eMacs (and later Intel iMacs);

a) to save space... needed to fit 25 workstations in a rather small room... certainly not enough room for your average PC + Display + Speakers.

b) because anyone going into multimedia technology would most likely have to learn to work with OS X (everybody has Windows experience, so even if you don't end up using OS X it doesn't do any harm)

c) less tech issues to deal with! There was 1 technician for the whole building; using OS X made his job a lot easier. There was nothing more serious than "Internet Explorer's crashed again, how do I fix it?" "cmd-option-esc, force quit and open Safari" in the 2 years I was there. I only did radio for a year and someone would need the tech once a day to sort something out (admittedly the setups where more complicated with all the external sound equipment; but the video lab had a lot of external video devices and there weren't half as many problems).

d) they actually allowed for so much more... projects created around Comic Life, photography projects managed through iPhoto, video portfolios burnt through iDVD, soundtracks composed with iTunes+GarageBand... all a lot simpler on a Mac than Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
All true Levi.

Well...except in the US, we get degrees in ~4 or 5 years :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
My college, years ago was the same. Just get the Proxy servers information from a PC person and put it in your Mac, and you should be fine. I am not a tech person, I don't believe they can actually stop a Mac from accessing the local network. If it is like my college was, they just don't tell you how to access the network. In short, get crafty, and find the information out yourself!!!

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
My college, years ago was the same. Just get the Proxy servers information from a PC person and put it in your Mac, and you should be fine. I am not a tech person, I don't believe they can actually stop a Mac from accessing the local network. If it is like my college was, they just don't tell you how to access the network. In short, get crafty, and find the information out yourself!!!

Thats just what im planning to do...
I Might Just Put on Parallels as it wernt too bad, just slightly slow when it comes to big apps.

Does anyone remember a keylogging program being put on the front of windows xp magazine about 2 years ago? I cant think of a bigger security risk to your personal files!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.