Wubi help.. anyone? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Hey guys, I'm sorry if I had to run this in here. But right now I'm thinking about ditching XP on my desktop and installing Ubuntu. I already downloaded the ISO on Ubuntu's site.. but after that I realized I should try it with Wubi first. So I downloaded Wubi.

After that, I saw Wubi trying to download ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso on Ubuntu's servers. The ISO that I have is ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso, and when I tried to replace it in the download folder of Wubi (and replaced "desktop" with "alternate"); it didn't work.

Does anyone know how this works? I'm no Linux Guru. Help me please!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm sorry if I had to run this in here. But right now I'm thinking about ditching XP on my desktop and installing Ubuntu. I already downloaded the ISO on Ubuntu's site.. but after that I realized I should try it with Wubi first. So I downloaded Wubi.

After that, I saw Wubi trying to download ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso on Ubuntu's servers. The ISO that I have is ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso, and when I tried to replace it in the download folder of Wubi (and replaced "desktop" with "alternate"); it didn't work.

Does anyone know how this works? I'm no Linux Guru. Help me please!

I would say install Ubuntu and sudo apt-get install wubi .

Thats just a guess, I don't know anything about wubi to be honest, but I would say thats it.

Reaction score
Actually forget my last post. Wubi seems to include Ubuntu in the installation.

Just download Wubi and run the install and see what happens... let it finish. I would guess that it would install ubuntu.

If not it would probably ask for the location of the cd or ISO.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Wubi doesn't really include the ISO. It's downloading the ISO from the servers, and it's sloooowwww. As in 25Kbps compared to 250Kbps in my download manager.

So right now I'm downloading the ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso from Ubuntu's servers, in my download manager. I just hope this works when I replace it in the Wubi folder. It took almost an hour to download. It's like 696MB. And the first one I downloaded (which doesn't work with Wubi) is 697MB; and it got wasted. :(

Reaction score
That wont work.
Wubi must use an inet type install like you can do with many Linux Distros

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I am a former Linux user, I would not bother with Wubi.

Just download a ISO burn it, then install!

Wubi requires Windows to be there. You won't be able to give

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I did worked. :)

I finished downloading the alternate version of Ubuntu, and run Wubi. It automatically detected the ISO of alternate and used it. So I have Ubuntu(Wubi) and Windows now.

And to MBNick, I didn't really mean to be a full time Ubuntu user on my PC. I just wanted a test drive before installing it and partitioning. Unfortunately, I don't like it much. It's actually not that special, but it's good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.