Help with external hard drive

Reaction score
I have a Vantec external hard drive that i was using on pc but now i'm using with my brand new macbook. But it won't let me do anything to it and in get info, my permissions say read-only. How do I change this to do what I want with it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Vantec external hard drive that i was using on pc but now i'm using with my brand new macbook. But it won't let me do anything to it and in get info, my permissions say read-only. How do I change this to do what I want with it?

It sounds like the drive was formatted with your PC, and if that's true, it's likely formatted with the NTFS filesystem. Mac OS X doesn't support writing to an NTFS volume by default. If you can reformat the drive, do so on the Mac and choose "MS-DOS" as the filesystem type. It will then be compatible with both your PC and Mac.

If you have data you can't afford to lose on the drive, you might want to check out MacFUSE, which enables OS X to write and modify NTFS-formatted drives.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I installed MacFUSE but...now what do I do? I just got a mac today so consider me a super newb... :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help, I installed MacFUSE but...now what do I do? I just got a mac today so consider me a super newb... :(

Honestly, it's not a very straightforward process, which is why I first recommended just reformatting the drive as MS-DOS.

This tutorial should get you started, but it's not something I would try as a complete newbie.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'll try to figure it out...

I'm just gonna transfer the files I need from the hard drive and then reformat it.

If I can get some help on this... what is compile? Is it just the process of installing the program? And also what is the binary .dmg?

OP
S
Reaction score
Actually nvm. I just realized I don't need to do anything to copy the files onto internal drive. So after I'm done copying everything, I'll just reformat it.

Now...is there any websites that can help me through the reformatting process in macs? haha thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually nvm. I just realized I don't need to do anything to copy the files onto internal drive. So after I'm done copying everything, I'll just reformat it.

Now...is there any websites that can help me through the reformatting process in macs? haha thanks in advance.

You can format the drive using Disk Utility, which is located in Applications => Utilities. Select the drive and click the Erase tab. Then, choose MS-DOS as the Volume Format and click Erase.

Also, to answer your previous question, compiling is the process of converting a computer programming language (text) into an executable program (binary).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.