Web Based Email and Iphoto

Reaction score
I just received my new macbook. I loaded all of my pictures into Iphoto 08. I use hotmail for my primary email and when i go to attach a picture to an email, i cannot get into my iphoto library. How do attach pics from iphoto in hotmail?

Thank you for your help....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
How about exporting those pictures that you want to attach to the desktop and attaching them from thereon?

OP
K
Reaction score
I do not want to export them to the desktop, i want to be able to just grab the photos without exporting. Exporting them to the desktop, attaching them, then deleting the photos from the desktop seems like a little much, since i used to to able to just attach photos from my pictures file with my PC. Is there any known plugin or work around besides exporting?

Reaction score
My suggestion is to not allow iPhoto to copy images to the iPhoto Library directly. I'm also a new mac user and set it up by creating a Pics folder in the Shared User directory and turning off the option in iPhoto to copy images. Then just drag and drop the folders into iPhoto and your good to go.

Reaction score
I import them through iPhoto then go into the iPhoto Library file and CTRL-Click to View in the package and move the files from there to my Pics folder

OP
K
Reaction score
i wish i could just import the files through iphoto and then without doing anything, be able to attach them to my hotmail. This was a lot easier, I'm sad to say, on my dell.

Reaction score
Yea I was pretty dissapointed with this as well, since it is my first experience with apple, but honestly this extra step was worth it because iPhoto compared to any windows photo album app is a GOD!, lol

OP
K
Reaction score
dsuppa, I too am dissapointed with this, this is my first mac as well, I thought that they would be easier to use, this, to me, is not easy. It is mind boggling that you cant attach a picture file to a web based email from iphoto. There has got to be someone that is an mac expert that can tell us how to do this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You can use other programs (even the finder) to transfer the images from your camera to your computer.

With my sony, the camera mounts as an external disk drive. I could command-click-n-drag the images to anywhere on my computer. That wil move the files. Then you can import them into iPhoto without copy as you stated above.

Reaction score
Really! That's awesome I'm going to have to try that when I get home!

Thanks

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks giulio, i will try the method you suggested, one question, were do i find the files for the photos i have already imported?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kurtisk... that can be tricky. Two variables: A) the version of iPhoto, and B) did you make any modifications to the images?

iPhoto stores the modified file in another directory, so that you can always go back to the original.

So the best bet is to drag all of the images from the iPhoto window into a new folder. This way you are getting your modified files only. Verify the copy worked, then delete all the images from your library within iPhoto (and empty iPhoto's trash).

BTW guys, there are two considerations to not letting iPhoto handle your photos the way it wants to....
When you add images to your web mail, you'll be attaching the full size original image. So...
• You'll be uploading a very large file
• Your recipient will be downloading a very large file
• You'll be attaching the original file (pre iPhoto edits, if any were made)

iPhoto + Mail.app is a nice combo. You can dynamically resize the images at any time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Why don't you set up Mail to use your hotmail account settings. I've done this with Gmail, and I use iPhoto and Mail, but it's just like using iPhoto and Gmail.

Brian

Reaction score
Hotmail can't natively be used with Mail...

however if it's an older Hotmail account, the httpmail plugin may work (I use it to use Hotmail through Mail)

OP
K
Reaction score
I really dont want to use mail, or any desktop mail program, i prefer just to log into the website. I just wish i could use iphoto, without any crazy settings, to upload pictures to my hotmail. This is the only thing that i am disappointed with so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kinda like being disappointed with a lambourgini in baja ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.