Wireless Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20" 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
Hi I got my first ever mac yesterday and am having a big problem with the wireless connection, its a new imac and it just keeps dropping my wireless connection every couple of minutes and while its connected I get speeds of around 40 - 80 kps dial up in reality while I am on a 16mb connection, the bars on the airport status never goes over 2.

Now I also have a windows laptop which when I put it in the same place as my imac has the full 5 bar signal, yes the speed drops down to between 4 - 6 mb but it never drops the signal ever, I also have a Playstation 3 and a PDA which pick up the full signal in the same room as the imac, is this a problem with my imac or are the airport wireless just not as good as my other equipment? I am using the Sky broadband Netgear router right now which only goes up to g and am seriously considering ordering this netgear n router now,

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/1120487/Netgear-DG834N-RangeMax-NEXT-Wireless-ADSL2-Modem-Router-Free-WN511B-PCMCIA-Adaptor-Card/Product.html

I really dont want to fork out another 100 quid right now as I have doubts if it will even make a difference am I better off contacting Apple to see if there is a fault with the imac, or just gritting my teeth and ordering the new router now?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions I am really pulling my hair out over this.

Reaction score
Quickest and easiest way to check if it's the mac airport is to connect to the Sky Netgear with an ethernet cable. If it flies then it's an Airport problem as your PC lappie works OK. I have the same issue with my PowerBook G4. Almost unusable on wireless with the sky box. I did a few speed tests and was going to complain to Sky but I've an iBook G3 that's OK and everything on my LAN works a treat. The other issue is that Sky don't give out usernames and passwords for broadband you can't configure another router!!! as far as I know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.