how do I lock my cable wireless?

Reaction score
I just got cable and a wireless router. Right now its sending an open signal. I need to lock the signal, or atleast put a password on it. Its not PPoeE (password/screename protected) and thats all I know. Could someone help me?

Im running on a powerbook OSX 10.4 Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What brand router is it? Or is it one of those cable modem/router combos?

T

todd51

For most routers just enter 192.168.1.1 in your web browser. You should get a dialog box wanting a user name and password. I'm assuming that you just bought the router so it should have default settings. Use this site to find the brand/model of the router your using to find the login information:

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

From there you can access all of your router's settings. There should be some wireless security options in there, just change it to set encryption to WPA - Personal (recommended) or WEP. WEP is not as highly recommended because it's easy to crack by people who are even the slightest determined to get access to your internet.

Oh and as Kash said, your router information would be more helpful to us! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
+rep on both of you! Thanks for being so helpful! The brand for teh router is Netgear Wnr834b. No, it isnt a wireless/cable combo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
+rep on both of you! Thanks for being so helpful! The brand for teh router is Netgear Wnr834b. No, it isnt a wireless/cable combo.

Also, you can change your SSID (router name) and turn off broadcasting, so to find your router, you have to type in the actual name instead of having it pop up in a list of available network connection points like every router is setup to do default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.