For those on the fence...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SR MacBook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz - 120GB HD - 2GB RAM
My name's Derek and I'm a switcher. This is my story.

I cut my teeth back in '91 or so on a 386SX IBM compatible PC. I was 11. Since then, it's been this machine or that at regular intervals to keep with the times and technology. I've had Dells, Gateways, built countless machines of my own, laptops, desktops, and handhelds - all of which have been Windows based machines with the occasional Linux distro here or there for the sake of being well rounded. I'm an MS certified professional (for what that's worth), and I've served my time in the user support arena dealing with headache after headache, which I feel has made me stronger and wiser. Every professional career level job I've held since college has been in the IT field, and every IT job has been PC centric.

This past May I decided to take some extra cash I came into and purchase a new machine. Ironically, I had just purchased a new Vista based Gateway laptop which was well equipped and holding it's own- but it just didn't feel "right" anymore. You see, having the experience dealing with IT on a daily basis for so many years has made me appreciate well designed equipment that works, and works well. It's made me appreciate a piece of equipment that 100% performs as advertised again and again. It's made me appreciate plugging a device in and spending more time using it than setting it up.

Several weeks into my Vista experience I started encountering the usual issues adherent to MS wares - this or that function or feature either didn't work as described, only partially worked, or required a certain degree of tweaking to make it work the way *I* needed it to work. I'd had enough - The winds of change were stirring!

My Mac experience was limited. I had owned a PowerBook which I acquired off a buddy who upgraded to the previous generation MBP. It was a meager spec'd machine but I was impressed...it just didn't have the horsepower I needed and I ended up getting rid of it shortly after buying it. However, it was that brief hands-on encounter with OS X and the Apple design aesthetics that would plant itself in my mind and pave the way for my technological awakening. Fast forward to this year, May. I began researching machines and checking out pricing. I couldn't shake the memory of that sleek metal shelled PowerBook I had briefly owned...I made the decision to go the Apple route, this go round.

Being a moderate gamer, I wanted a machine that could handle an FPS or two when I was in the mood, and from my PC experience with integrated graphics chipsets I knew that the Macbook wouldn't meet my needs (not to mention satisfy my craving for the sleek brushed casing). MBP was the way for me. Now, I have a problem with impulse and instant gratification. When I want something, and set my mind to it, I want it now- not "7-10 days" plus shipping transit time! ;).

I live in Shreveport, LA so the 3 or 4 Dallas TX Apple stores are only about a 2.5 hour drive away. Last week I made the short trip over to the Knox Street store. The area wasn't the greatest location for an Apple Store (that I could see), but I'm sure corporate had it's reasons. I walked in somewhat apprehensive and expecting to deal with a pretentious sales person (remember, limited Mac exposure and really on stereotypes to fuel me). However, my experience was quite the opposite. The gentleman helping me was polite and friendly. He was patient, and answered what remaining questions I had regarding some hardware curiosities and pricing although I will say his knowledge was rather limited (for example, even I knew that the trackpad settings could be configured to allow a double finger right click function). We wrapped things up after about 30 minutes and I walked out with my new MacBook Pro 15" 2.2ghz, and a new 30GB iPod (staff discount since I work at a med school in the library and the promotion was too good to pass up). The awakening was near!

I've had the machine for almost a week now and I couldn't be more pleased. The performance is phenomenal, the stability is rock-solid, and the sheer joy of using it makes me feel like for once I didn't get the short end of the stick on the purchase of a new machine. Things work intuitively- there's a relatively seamless transition between thinking of what you want to do, and carrying out the actions needed in OS X to do it.

My message to switchers on the fence is simple - do it and don't look back. I don't regret coming from the PC camp, the instabilities of the PC world have kept me fed and clothed for years. However, I'm getting a little older and I don't need the stress of using my computer to get things done to go along with the other stresses of life. If you're lurking reading this trying to do all your homework before that next big computer purchase, know that the grass *is* greener on the other side! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to frequenting this forum more and more in the near future. :D

Derek

B

bbarnette

Welcome to mac-forums! I also used windows/linux machines exclusively from the early 90's until about this time last year. I built most of my own machines also. Like you I also worked in IT, before joining the military, and got fed up with the general user unfriendliness of windows. But windows is what I knew, I laughed at my friends that used macs and their worthless overpriced hardware( yes, I was one of those). Don't get me wrong, I liked OS X and the design of the macs but I couldn't get past the hardware issue. Then came the intel mac and I was intrigued. I bought a white mac book just to try things out and was so impressed by it that 2 weeks later I sold my main windows box, that I had just built, and bought the mac pro. I have never looked back, I try to talk the rest of my family into switching whenever they come to me with a windows problem they need fixed. I still keep a copy of Vista on a separate hard drive for gaming but I almost never boot into it because World of Warcraft is available for mac. Now that more and more companies are committing to make games for mac, which is really the only hold up for most people, there is really no reason to stick with windows. I join you in your message to those on the fence, ditch windows and get a Mac!

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I am a switcher "on the fence". It is great to hear stories like these from people that worked with PC's all their lives, and still switch over to Mac and find it much better. I still have some doubts as I also have used PCs my whole life (although I am not certified or any of that). I'm looking forward to a mini or macbook in the somewhat near future.

Thanks again.

OP
DerekGroves
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duck_Stab,

You're welcome...I hope it'll ease your worries some!

OP
DerekGroves
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bbarnette,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Reaction score
Thanks for the post Derek. I'm also considering switching. I'm waiting for Leopard though and taking the time to continue reading. I've only been reading for less than a week.

I'll probably go with least expensive Macbook unless I convince myself that I need the Superdrive. May or may not upgrade to 2GB of RAM.

Reaction score
My name's Derek and I'm a switcher. This is my story.

I cut my teeth back in '91 or so on a 386SX IBM compatible PC. I was 11. Since then, it's been this machine or that at regular intervals to keep with the times and technology. I've had Dells, Gateways, built countless machines of my own, laptops, desktops, and handhelds - all of which have been Windows based machines with the occasional Linux distro here or there for the sake of being well rounded. I'm an MS certified professional (for what that's worth), and I've served my time in the user support arena dealing with headache after headache, which I feel has made me stronger and wiser. Every professional career level job I've held since college has been in the IT field, and every IT job has been PC centric.

This past May I decided to take some extra cash I came into and purchase a new machine. Ironically, I had just purchased a new Vista based Gateway laptop which was well equipped and holding it's own- but it just didn't feel "right" anymore. You see, having the experience dealing with IT on a daily basis for so many years has made me appreciate well designed equipment that works, and works well. It's made me appreciate a piece of equipment that 100% performs as advertised again and again. It's made me appreciate plugging a device in and spending more time using it than setting it up.

Several weeks into my Vista experience I started encountering the usual issues adherent to MS wares - this or that function or feature either didn't work as described, only partially worked, or required a certain degree of tweaking to make it work the way *I* needed it to work. I'd had enough - The winds of change were stirring!

My Mac experience was limited. I had owned a PowerBook which I acquired off a buddy who upgraded to the previous generation MBP. It was a meager spec'd machine but I was impressed...it just didn't have the horsepower I needed and I ended up getting rid of it shortly after buying it. However, it was that brief hands-on encounter with OS X and the Apple design aesthetics that would plant itself in my mind and pave the way for my technological awakening. Fast forward to this year, May. I began researching machines and checking out pricing. I couldn't shake the memory of that sleek metal shelled PowerBook I had briefly owned...I made the decision to go the Apple route, this go round.

Being a moderate gamer, I wanted a machine that could handle an FPS or two when I was in the mood, and from my PC experience with integrated graphics chipsets I knew that the Macbook wouldn't meet my needs (not to mention satisfy my craving for the sleek brushed casing). MBP was the way for me. Now, I have a problem with impulse and instant gratification. When I want something, and set my mind to it, I want it now- not "7-10 days" plus shipping transit time! ;).

I live in Shreveport, LA so the 3 or 4 Dallas TX Apple stores are only about a 2.5 hour drive away. Last week I made the short trip over to the Knox Street store. The area wasn't the greatest location for an Apple Store (that I could see), but I'm sure corporate had it's reasons. I walked in somewhat apprehensive and expecting to deal with a pretentious sales person (remember, limited Mac exposure and really on stereotypes to fuel me). However, my experience was quite the opposite. The gentleman helping me was polite and friendly. He was patient, and answered what remaining questions I had regarding some hardware curiosities and pricing although I will say his knowledge was rather limited (for example, even I knew that the trackpad settings could be configured to allow a double finger right click function). We wrapped things up after about 30 minutes and I walked out with my new MacBook Pro 15" 2.2ghz, and a new 30GB iPod (staff discount since I work at a med school in the library and the promotion was too good to pass up). The awakening was near!

I've had the machine for almost a week now and I couldn't be more pleased. The performance is phenomenal, the stability is rock-solid, and the sheer joy of using it makes me feel like for once I didn't get the short end of the stick on the purchase of a new machine. Things work intuitively- there's a relatively seamless transition between thinking of what you want to do, and carrying out the actions needed in OS X to do it.

My message to switchers on the fence is simple - do it and don't look back. I don't regret coming from the PC camp, the instabilities of the PC world have kept me fed and clothed for years. However, I'm getting a little older and I don't need the stress of using my computer to get things done to go along with the other stresses of life. If you're lurking reading this trying to do all your homework before that next big computer purchase, know that the grass *is* greener on the other side! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to frequenting this forum more and more in the near future. :D

Derek

Wow! just wow! Thanks for this insightful sharing...seriously...I would like to buy MBP now since I know it is the real deal...but I can't afford :( So, I will start with a Macbook! I am impressed how much people have been talking about it. I mean even computer geeks like it, then that is a good sign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
very usefull post and nicley writen. That has just backed up the desishion i took to get a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Thanks for telling your story!

OP
DerekGroves
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all for taking the time to read my post. I'm glad I've helped others. Also, don't forget....if you're worried about the few proprietary apps you may have that do need Windows-- bootcamp and parallels are available.

And, if you're a gamer- I picked up Bioshock last night and it runs flawlessly on my MBP under bootcamp and XP. Need to enable the console so I can view the specific framerate but if you're wondering about gaming performance on this machine, you'll be fine! :D

Derek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 160Gb 256Mb Vram, OSX Leopard!, ViewSonic 20" Widescreen TFT
Hi Derek. I've just switched too, and couldnt be happier.

To all those on the fence, as i've said somewhere else around here, there are people having problems with the new SR MBP's but dont let that put you off. Apple's support is fantastic, and i have a replacement MBP that i am very happy with. I was without a Mac for 4 days, would have been less if it wasnt for the weekend. It boots in 30 secs, my works HP laptop with Win XP takes 7-12 mins to boot when connected to the network, and thats a 2ghz C2D with 2gig ram. it resets the screen res everytime lock and unlock it, and it cant drive my 20" widescreen at home, and thats with a Radeon X1300 gfx card with 512mb ram!!! I have used vista and compared to OSX it, quite frankly, stinks!

I Spent days researching - "can i find software on the Mac that will do what i can do in Windoze now?" and yes i have found everything i need.

You will not regret it

There is however, one thing i will definitely not be doing with my Mac, and thats installing Windows!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.