Show Desktop folder??

S

sunmike

I am running OS9.2 on a G4... On my iMac, I was able - years ago - to make the desktop folder visible so that I could create auto backups to my external b-u drive, add things from the finder, etc.

Now I am trying to find a way to do the same on the G4... funny thing is, I can find the "desktop folder" in Sherlock, and I can see it on the network from other machines. But, within the Finder on the G4, I can't see my own "desktop folder", and I am unable to make a copy of it from the Sherlock window as I do with other folders all the time...

How can I make it visible???

Thanks!!!
:confused:

OP
B

Badger

You need ResEdit or a similar utility to make the folder visible. In ResEdit you can use the Info command instead of the open command, then change the setting to make the folder visible.
Badger

OP
S

sunmike

where to get resedit?

So... where do I get resedit?
I have tried doing the same thing with 2 programs - invisiblefinder and filebuddy, but though they both seem to be doing it, the folder is still invisible...
however, I am not even sure I am on the right track because I can see the desktop on the network, and in Sherlock... very strange, indeed...

thanks for the reply, badger.

Badger said:
You need ResEdit or a similar utility to make the folder visible. In ResEdit you can use the Info command instead of the open command, then change the setting to make the folder visible.
Badger

OP
B

Badger

I just tried with ResEdit on my old G3 iMac (OS 9.22) and had no problem making the desktop files visible. You can get ResEdit on the Apple site or through www.pure-mac.com >utilities>disk and file. However, if FileBuddy didn't do it I doubt that ResEdit will. As you wrote there is something strange going on.
Good Luck.
Badger

OP
S

sunmike

Yep.

Badger - this I know, it doesn't make any sense to me...
I have dealt with this before, and File Buddy fixed it. But now, who knows?
I guess we will just have to live with it, unless you or someone else has any more ideas what the heck is going on.

Thanks for your input
Michael

Badger said:
I just tried with ResEdit on my old G3 iMac (OS 9.22) and had no problem making the desktop files visible. You can get ResEdit on the Apple site or through www.pure-mac.com >utilities>disk and file. However, if FileBuddy didn't do it I doubt that ResEdit will. As you wrote there is something strange going on.
Good Luck.
Badger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.