FTP Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
My college has a few FTP servers and I am having trouble accessing them from my mac. From windows I can use filezilla and access them no prob, but with mac when i input the FTP address into safari it tells me that the FTP does not exist. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i use fetch 4.0 but there are several ftp programs that are free. check this site out: www.opensourcemac.org it seems to be down right now but there are a couple of good ones on there. you can also search versiontracker or macupdate.

ps - you can also use terminal to ftp if you know how to do it in Unix.

T

todd51

I'll agree with Alexis on this one and say get Cyberduck.

Another one I have tried and liked is Fugu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Lets start with basics and make sure you don't have an IP access issue. Open Terminal.app and type in:

ftp name-of-server-you-want-to-connect-to

Does it work? Can you connect? You should receive a userid or password prompt.

If this doesn't work, you have a connectivity issue (firewalls, something) that you need to solve first. If it DOES work, I would agree with Alexis who says that Cyberduck is your friend. Weird name for an FTP client, but it is very well regarded.

If you favor the dual pane file manager approach to FTP clients, check out Disk Order or CaptainFTP, both of which are nice dual pane style (but shareware/commercialware) products. Personally, I use Disk Order. A nice file manager and a nice FTP client.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.