Is it silly or okay?

Reaction score
As I said I am planning on becoming a switcher...

I am so inlove with those new 13" Macbooks...they are so awesome and their specs ar enot too bad. They don't have much of a gfx card but I won't be gaming on it nor would I run a program that requires huge graphical demand.

Well, to make this switch I am actually making quite amount of sacrifcie since for the same price I can get this uber ASUS laptop. Which is much bigger and bulkier than Macbook but definitly has tons of more functions...yet it still is a PC and running on stupid Vista which is not even stable yet!!!

Anyway, let's say that I forgone this Asus and I want to buy a Mac...seriously. Is it silly to go for a Macbook? Is Pro much better? But I am not a graphical designer nor any kind of photoshop geek. I will be using my Mac usually for university work which includes writing essays or preparing some presentations. I will go for 2 gig ram anyway.

Is it silly to buy one of those Macbooks (mainly I like their looks more than a Pro tbh)? I need bit of direction happening. Is anybody using one of those? Are you happy? is it fast enough etc.

P.S. I live in Australia so the pricing is obviously different than US. The Macbook I want is around $1850, if I go for black version it is $300 extra (which I find very very stupid, I love the black one but I don't think it is worth that much).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Man! It is not silly at all! Actually this could be the best choice you have ever made. I got a black macbook for around a month now and there is nothing bad about it. I ll admit that when i switched over, for the first days i felt like my hands have been cut off, since i have been working with Pc's since i was 6 :) But right now, man, with my whole sincere heart i can tell you that macbook is awesome! And since you say that you do not need your macbook for video editing or stuff like that, thats even better reason why go for a macbook. Dude, and i dont know.... i have usually puzzled by the way that pc works... i mean the fuller it is the longer your start up is, totally opposite of a mac. No matter what you have in there its going to take around 10 seconds to turn it on. And the fact that the whole OS will NEVER crash just makes my day! Actually man i could keep going on and on... just get a macbook :)

OP
bittenapple
Reaction score
Man! It is not silly at all! Actually this could be the best choice you have ever made. I got a black macbook for around a month now and there is nothing bad about it. I ll admit that when i switched over, for the first days i felt like my hands have been cut off, since i have been working with Pc's since i was 6 :) But right now, man, with my whole sincere heart i can tell you that macbook is awesome! And since you say that you do not need your macbook for video editing or stuff like that, thats even better reason why go for a macbook. Dude, and i dont know.... i have usually puzzled by the way that pc works... i mean the fuller it is the longer your start up is, totally opposite of a mac. No matter what you have in there its going to take around 10 seconds to turn it on. And the fact that the whole OS will NEVER crash just makes my day! Actually man i could keep going on and on... just get a macbook :)

Thanks! you made me a believer...i will try to buy this thing as soon as possible!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i dont know about never crashing but it is extremely rare that it does. i have had 4 macs over 2 .5 years and i have had a kernel panic (crash) once. the funny thing is that it was caused by an anti virus program which btw you will not need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
but definitly has tons of more functions.

Like what?

You do know you can install Windows on a Mac as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
By tons of functions, it means lights all over the place, memory card readers, and Internet and Media function keys... :)

OP
bittenapple
Reaction score
Actually, by tons of functions I tried to mean the graphics card which is very good (nvidia 8600 go) as a result being able to run games etc., an inbuilt digital/analogue TV tuner, bigger screen, a swivel camera (can turn around 180 degrees), a finger print lock which is great to protect your data, more connectivity ports etc...

So, it definitly has more stuff on it but of course more stuff=more bulk. I mean it is not terribily bulked but still bit bulkier than Macbook. I still want a Macbook though because I want to try a Mac this time. I think Macbook should do my job but now I am worried about this 'palmrest cracking' business! My hands are big and heavy, I am a big boy! I hope this doesn't happen in all. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
i switched about 2 weeks ago and i love my mac. i am still getting used to the keyboard and the basic functions of using a mac as opposed to a pc but i love it and i am super happy with my purchase. by the way i have the 2.0 white macbook (and will be upgrading the ram soon) and it runs perfectly for me. i dont do any kind of gaming or photoshop stuff so this is perfect. the only thing i do miss is my old laptop had a slot for memory cards, which comes in handy for when i transfer my pictures from my camera to my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
...an inbuilt digital/analogue TV tuner...a swivel camera (can turn around 180 degrees), a finger print lock

ummm.. what? since when do they have any of these things?? have you ever even see a mac laptop?

OP
bittenapple
Reaction score
ummm.. what? since when do they have any of these things?? have you ever even see a mac laptop?

The things I listed were the Asus laptop that I was talking about. I was comparing the price and what I was getting if I didn't buy a Mac which I pretty much made my mind up...only thing is left to put together the money...I want a Macbook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
The things I listed were the Asus laptop that I was talking about. I was comparing the price and what I was getting if I didn't buy a Mac which I pretty much made my mind up...only thing is left to put together the money...I want a Macbook!

ahh, ok, my bad, should have read more carefully. sorry about that.

OP
bittenapple
Reaction score
ahh, ok, my bad, should have read more carefully. sorry about that.

No worries...

I just figured out I don't have the money and might need to wait until mid October! But, this actually is not a bad thing assuming Leopard would come out on time! I would get it for free! It was one fot he things eating my mind since the guy in Apple shop at uni said they are not providing free Leopard upgrade!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16Ghz core2duo, 1GB, superdrive
How about an opinion from someone who sits on both sides of the fence, i own an xp pc, a macbook (core2duo 2.16 - nice upgrade by my insurance company thanks to my father spilling wine on my old one), and a brand new vista pc (well its my fathers technically but i use it more than him).

Out of all the OS's i prefer XP still, but because i can get around it better than i can my house, i understand it from the inside out and i can fix just about anything that might go wrong with it, which i unfortunatley have to do.

OS X is next in line, its pretty, really easy to use, fast and just feels good to use. I dont like the fact that if something goes wrong i cant fix it without hours of research on the net but then again this could change since ive only been using it daily for 6 months and ive been using xp daily for 6 years.

Lastly is vista, it is very sluggish considering how high the minimum specs are to run it, my old xp laptop with 128mb ram ran smoother than my vista pc with just over 1gb ram. I also dont like how secure it is, it tries too hard on the surface but i know that it would be so easy to overcome by pro's. Why should i have to press continue to change every little setting, i'm suprised i can change my screensaver without telling the computer i have tried to do it.
Also, networking was simpler between mac and xp than mac and vista, vista is however better at networking with other xp/vista systems than anything ive ever used before.

Theres my 2p, i think for my portable needs i will stick with my macbook and for the foreseeable future it will be macs, however for my home computing needs it will take a lot to perswade me to give up my loyal xp machine, i know that watever happens i will get it working again that night and thats reliablility that is hard to find with computers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
How about an opinion from someone who sits on both sides of the fence

there are quite a few of us here that do...

my job is in wintel server support.
my last notebook was a 17" HP pavillion.

i'm very happy that, for the last year, whenever i've had to deal with a microsoft related problem on a computer, i've gotten paid for it. ;)

i'm very, very happy with OS X and my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I think one of your questions was MB vs MB Pro...? If you have to type in a dark area, the backlit keyboard is awesome. Other than that it is total overkill for what you will be using it for, LOL. I would prefer the smaller and there for lighter MB. There's my two cents and "Welcome!" and good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.