• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AppleCare Protection Plan - Worth it?

Reaction score
Is it worth purchasing the apple care protection plan? Whats your expereince with thie extra insurance here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
AppleCare for a laptop is a must. Things seem to go wrong more frequently than with desktops. Prices to replace something are a lot more expensive. You can buy AppleCare any time before the 1 year standard warranty expires, so you have plenty of time to come up with the $300 or whatever it costs.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Apple Care will pay for itself the first time you use it. Trust me, invest in the extra protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Totally worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
I would wait until your normal 1 year warranty runs out. And then its SO MUCH worth it!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i just got my notice in the mail that my 1 year is up on 9/19.

i did get my superdrive replaced for free under the one year. i'm 99.9 percent sure i'm going to go for the extra protection now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just got my notice in the mail that my 1 year is up on 9/19.

i did get my superdrive replaced for free under the one year. i'm 99.9 percent sure i'm going to go for the extra protection now.

Wise decision. In case you didn't notice, if you register AppleCare within the first 90 days of your purchase - you'll get extended telephone support immediately as well.

T

todd51

I think it's worth it. If I'm going to spend that much money on a laptop, I want it to be working free of charge for the next 3 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I also opted for Apple, but I wish it covered accidentals, also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
It's ridiculously expensive though imo. For the mbp it's almost 1/3 of the 15.4" price. I'd definitely buy it if it were less pricey. But 450€ is just too much for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I just ordered mine! Should be here on Tuesday. It's well worth the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 200GB, Smokin! :)
It's ridiculously expensive though imo. For the mbp it's almost 1/3 of the 15.4" price. I'd definitely buy it if it were less pricey. But 450€ is just too much for me.

I totally understand what you're saying, Sennec, but think about it this way... If the SuperDrive or display were to go out, and it were under Apple care, you wouldn't pay much of anything... If not under Apple care, you'd be out of pocket quit a bit more than the cost of the extended warranty.

Cheers // Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I bought mine from eBay for like 200 bucks. And it worked!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Luckily my employer sells Macs so when I was browsing the selection I saw how much AppleCare would cost me and prices are jacked up by at least 1/3rd retail.
-Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I been using Apple products my whole life. Few years back I got a G4 PB. Also purchase Apple Care and never used it. On this lap top I figured I would not purchase the extra protection. After a year the logic board went, not covered under warranty, nor did my serial # fall within the range Apple was offering free logic board replacements. A new Logic board, installed is around $400. The Apple care would have taken care of that for me, and paid for itself the first time.
Trust me, safe a few dollars every month for the first year, if you have to, and purchase it when ready, you will be thankful you did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I been using Apple products my whole life. Few years back I got a G4 PB. Also purchase Apple Care and never used it. On this lap top I figured I would not purchase the extra protection. After a year the logic board went, not covered under warranty, nor did my serial # fall within the range Apple was offering free logic board replacements. A new Logic board, installed is around $400. The Apple care would have taken care of that for me, and paid for itself the first time.
Trust me, safe a few dollars every month for the first year, if you have to, and purchase it when ready, you will be thankful you did.

Great reason to get AppleCare for those who haven't bought it yet or is thinking about to.

Reaction score
Is it worth purchasing the apple care protection plan? Whats your expereince with thie extra insurance here?

I don't know. If you are going for a base model I would say no... I mean it could be months or mayber a year or two before you have a problem. By that time the depreciation + cost of Applecare doesn't justify itself.

I would prefer to take the chance on fixing it myself and if I had no luck I'd replace it.

Macs really are not that hard to fix, theres lots of resources on the net and if you take your time it shoul go ok. ;)

Reaction score
I decided to go for it a few days ago.

One of the reasons is that it will still have 12 months Warranty when I come to sell it in about 12 months time.

Reaction score
Great reason to get AppleCare for those who haven't bought it yet or is thinking about to.

it is? if we actually do the math, applecare costs $250 for the macbook, and probably cost the same amount for the powerbook (i know i spent $250 on it when i bought an iBook 3 years ago). had powermacj7 opted for applecare on both laptops, he would have ended up spending $500, instead of the $400 he ended up spending to fix the logic board. whether or not to get it depends on your finances and how much you value the security of knowing that it's covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
I don't know...I tend to think it is a waste of money. I had the protection plan on my eMac and the display fried 4 months after the plan expired...Money down the drain. While attempting to recover some money through my renters insurance, I found out that you can add a "computer clause" to your insurance that covers everything the plan would cover to include accidents with a $0 deductible. So when I purchased the new iMac and MBP I opted out of the Apple plan and got the "computer" clause added on my insurance...my coverage is $4000 for like $30 a year. You can also increase the coverage. IMO...this is far better than the Apple plan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.