• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Super Cheap Laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Does anyone remember that super cheap laptop that was on Digg a while back, mainly for linux use? I can't seem to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Reaction score
i heard about that on the radio in the car on the way to a 1 week camping trip, and had nothing to write it down with. I was going to get one, but i couldn't remember what it was. Sounded good though. I would also like to know. For some reason i think the company had to do with "cook" or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Ure not talking about the 100$ laptops to africa program are you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
no he is right, there is a $200 laptop coming out with like a 4GB HD that natively runs linux. its a mini, so its like 8 inches

Reaction score
yeah, not the "one laptop per child" for developing countries. They are refurbished laptops or somehting. not the best specs. Like 256mb memory, but htats ok i guess with linux. I just need somehting with wireless thats portable. It sounds great.

Reaction score
Didn't Lenova also just come out with a low priced laptop?

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hehe, no not the $100 per child laptops.

As far as the one wesleyclark suggested, I'm not sure if that's the one, but it surely is the same idea.

Just wanted to know so I could get one of those things and mess around with it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think I know what you mean. It was a $150 laptop with a 15.4" screen. It's looked very good for something that was supposed to be so cheap. All the tech blogs wrote about it and some, like Engadget and Crave, actually ordered one to see if it was on the level. The estimated delivery was supposed to be like 1-2 months and they were supposed to report updates. It's been at least a month now and I haven't heard anything else about it.

Found the article on Engadget, or at least their last report on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/03/medison-reveals-more-details-on-150-laptop/

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, not the "one laptop per child" for developing countries. They are refurbished laptops or somehting. not the best specs. Like 256mb memory, but htats ok i guess with linux. I just need somehting with wireless thats portable. It sounds great.

no, those aren't refurbs, they're just designed to be very economical. wired has had a couple articles on them.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Yep, that's the one I was looking for fleurya.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.