• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Comptroller General of the US says America is going Bankrupt

D

def_ears

The US government is on a ‘burning platform’ of unsustainable policies and practices with fiscal deficits, chronic healthcare underfunding, immigration and overseas military commitments threatening a crisis if action is not taken soon, the country’s top government inspector has warned.
David Walker, comptroller general of the US, issued the unusually downbeat assessment of his country’s future in a report that lays out what he called “chilling long-term simulations”.
Drawing parallels with the end of the Roman empire, Mr Walker warned there were “striking similarities” between America’s current situation and the factors that brought down Rome, including “declining moral values and political civility at home, an over-confident and over-extended military in foreign lands and fiscal irresponsibility by the central government”. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/80fa0a2c-49ef-11dc-9ffe-0000779fd2ac.html
Were firmly on a course to be a third world dump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What's the deal with the sudden influx of politically based threads? Can't we just talk about Macs?

This sound like SPAM to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
What's the deal with the sudden influx of politically based threads? Can't we just talk about Macs?

It's in the Anything Goes forum. I've seen no rules against political threads.

If you don't like the thread or it's subject, don't read it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
well really this has been a relatively politic free forum. i know this is the Anything goes forum, but not a lot of us want to discuss politics. there is too much. let's keep religion and politics out of a computer forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I tend to agree. I'd prefer to see this forum essentially politics and religion free. I have plenty of opportunities to discuss politics outside of here. Geez I live in the DC area! I don't need politics here too.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It's in the Anything Goes forum. I've seen no rules against political threads.

If you don't like the thread or it's subject, don't read it.

i agree. and so far as long as the threads remain civilized, we've been able to enjoy some level of reasonable debate.

also, the title is suitably detailed enough to warn those who don't want anything to do with political discussion.

either way, it's old news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
well really this has been a relatively politic free forum. i know this is the Anything goes forum, but not a lot of us want to discuss politics. there is too much. let's keep religion and politics out of a computer forum.

So it's "Anything goes, except subjects some people don't want to read."

Banning discussion of certain subjects sounds a great idea, until you try to implement it - who is to say how far the subject of "politics" extends? What about a political debate concerning internet regulation? DRM?

I repeat - if you don't like the subject, you can easily ignore it. No-one is forcing politics down anybody's throat here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD

I agree with baggss. This *is* MAC-Forums overall and the audience is here because they have or are interested in Macs.

Discussion of politics tends to bring out the worst in people quickly. I would gently chide one of the respondents for their tone. Not rude, just not friendly. baggss is entitled to his opinions, and I for one agree with him on this matter. I suspect many others do as well.

As one who is guilty of having just yesterday posted a comment on a thread about politicians, I will make it a point to cease and desist. Henceforth, this is a Mac Forum, at least for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I have no problems with people opting not to post in political threads. That's your choice. But I think that as long as ANY thread remains civil, intelligent, and "PG-rated", then members who do wish to discuss politics should be able to discuss nearly anything in Anything Goes.

I do find it ridiculous that some people can't discuss politics without resorting to personal attacks though. So I would like to see a few more threads remain on topic. Overall though, this forum has much fewer flaming, personal attacks, and angry members than most forums, so I'd say this is one of the better places to discuss politics. For instance, how many times do have you seen someone call another person a "fanboy" on this site? I've barely seen any of it, but that's one of the most popular terms to call people who disagree with you on most forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Our current policy is that anything can be discussed in anything goes, as long as it doesn't violate the forum rules.

So if you want to talk politics - go ahead.

BUT! Keep it to a debate - not a name calling session and respect each other's opinions.

We will close threads if necessary.

Happy discussing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So it's "Anything goes, except subjects some people don't want to read."

Banning discussion of certain subjects sounds a great idea, until you try to implement it - who is to say how far the subject of "politics" extends? What about a political debate concerning internet regulation? DRM?

I repeat - if you don't like the subject, you can easily ignore it. No-one is forcing politics down anybody's throat here.

You misunderstand my motives.

We've had a fair amount of politically motivated topics here, most of which have ended up being closed. I have no heartburn with the subject, just that in the end these things inevitably end badly. In a place that strives for harmony, topics like this are generally a bad idea, but there have been some exception.

As for who has the say, it's the staff. Period.

I simply voiced my opinion, I have done so in the past when politics becomes a topic. We'll see how this thread plays out. I will note that we are 11 posts in and no one has actually discussed the topic at hand. The fact that about half the thread agrees that politics is slippery slope in a place like this says a lot.

OP
D

def_ears

sorry I posted it. I usually wouldn't post anything political, but I thought this was an interesting article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't even see why we discussion has to become "political" or at least only political. The quote mentions the government's role as part of this decline he's seeing, but that's not the end-all reason, and the eventual downfall of a large nation cannot be put on the shoulders of less than 8 years of leadership.

Sometimes people are too quick to blame difficult problems on political differences and sometimes poor decisions are made due to political motivations. People really need to focus less on the politics and more on the issues for what they are and the solutions that are best for everyone despite political differences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.