Got My New Macbook Today, Cant Connect To My Wireless

Reaction score
Hello i unboxed my macbook today and it's great.

Accept i cannot connect to my wireless connection which i used on my old pc laptop. When i enter ther wep password it says there is an error or sometimes is does work and when i click safari it says you are not connected to the internet. This is very frustrating.

The only way i can connect is by plugging the ethernet cable into the router and into my macbook.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
are you getting an ip address when you are connected via airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i found that wep is not good for mac. remove wep and and use wpa encryption.

T

todd51

umm how?

IM a newb !

umm how do i check ?

To remove WEP first you have to be connected to your router. The best option here is to connect wired to your router. You should be able to access the internet this way too.

Then type in 192.168.1.1 in your internet browser, this should bring you to your router settings. You may also be prompted for the username and pass to access router settings. I'm not sure in your case but the default user/pass may have been changed. If you changed them when you bought your router just enter them in..if not here's a website with the defaults of the most common wireless routers:

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

Once you gain access to the router's settings, search through the Wireless Security options, it should let you change your encryption from WEP to WPA - Personal. Then simply enter the passphrase you would like and there you have it!

If I didn't help you as much there are many tutorials all over the internet for information on how to do this. I'm sure you'll even be able to find one with your specific router model. Good luck, let us know if you have any questions!!:D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you know the Brand and Model of the Wireless Router you are trying to connect to? That info could help also.

OP
J
Reaction score
im using

Guru Wireless ADSL2

i know the password has been changed because someone set it all up for me and set the wireless up when i had my pc laptop.

And i cant remember the password for the router and i dont want to reset it incase i reset everything my friend set up

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my boyfriend's wireless connection. In the dropdown box, I tried selecting the option under wep password, just for kicks. With that option selected, I typed in the password and it magically worked. Don't know how or why but maybe it will for you? This would only work of course if you have the password for the router.

Reaction score
I have also had that problem.
One really weird solution was: booting into Windows (I have a Boot Camp partition) connecting to the wireless network in Windows and then rebooting into OS X and strangely now you are able to connect to the network in OS X also. Maybe you try this...only works if you are a Boot Camp user though.

kuchiki

OP
J
Reaction score
ok thanks for your suggestions, im not a bootcamp user.

T

todd51

Well the only other way to access the router's settings is to reset it back to default factory settings. Other than that I really don't know what else to tell ya.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.