VMWare Fusion and Parallels in the same Bootcamp partition?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Although I have my macbook pro for over a month now, I consider my self so inexperienced, that I can still post questions to this forum :) . While back in the days of Fusion's RC1, I decided to give it a try and create a Bootcamp VM. After the activation process though, it wouldn't ever let me login, but instead it gave me blue screens of death all the time. Every time I had to do a System Restore (booting natively in Windows or through Fusion in safe mode), bring the windows system back to the state were VMTools weren't installed, so that my VM could boot, install VMTools and have a BSOD popping up again. To make a long story short, I decided to switch to Parallels, which I use ever since.

Parallels is veeeeeeery slow :Grimmace: . Reading CNets benchmark tests between Fusion and Parallels two days ago made me want to switch to fusion asap. My problem is that my Bootcamp windows installation has already a copy of Parallel Tools installed. I am not sure what's going to happen if I try to run Fusion again and install VMTools. I tried to search on the internet, but I found only one vague post in a forum, claiming that there exist some problems if you mix the two virtualization environments in the same Bootcamp partition, but it wouldn't give any details.

Does any of you have a personal experience of something like that working (ie uninstalling Parallel Tools and installing VMTools)?

If not, would you recommend it?

Has any of you experienced, with any version of Fusion, the BSOD problem I described?

Thank you in advance,

-- ernani

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.