iWork family pack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
We have just placed our order for a new iMac, and I am so freakin excited. I have ordered the retail box of iWork to be picked up when the iMac is recieved, but there is a really great possibility that I will get a Macbook later this fall. Is the single user iWork able to be installed on two computers? As there is only about $20.00 difference, if it will not be installable, and work on two machines, I might as well get the family version right now. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? (Please note that I am not trying to beat Apple out of $20.00, just trying to save myself the heartache of possibly having to buy another full version in a few months, provided I am as thrilled with the new OS as I think I will be.) Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
Hey man, and welcome! I am almost in the same situation as you, but more elaborate ;) I have a MacBook already and bought the iWork 08 family pack because I plan to purchase a desktop Mac of some sort hopefully by the end of the year. I thought this best because of the licensing issues, among other things. If you are certain that you will get more than one Mac in the next, oh, say , 5 years, then go ahead and get the Family Pack. to me, $20 bucks was worth never having any patch, update, cus.serv. issues. Plus you can install the software on up to 5 machines. VERY economical I think :D Now if i had just know they were going to release it, I wouldn't have blown my gift card and 33 bucks at Best Buy (AppleWorks)! Oh well, live and learn. That was before I found this place!

Congrats and i think you'll be very happy with this computer.

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When I install iWork 08, it asked me for a serial number, so it would seem as though you would have a bit of trouble installing it on two separate computers at the same time.

I know it can be a hassle, but in the end, you can save yourself some trouble by exchanging your copy for the Family Pack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, just get the family pack. I saw that family pack was only $20 more I jumped on it because I have two Macbooks and a Mac Mini in my house. That 20 bucks was buying a little peace of mind that Apple wouldn't be gunning for me if I tried to install it on both mine and my wife's computer and I was able to do exactly that. It had two serial numbers which were identical, but those I think were stickers for one to put on some place on your Mac in case you needed to have them handy to re-install for whatever reason.

Gonna do the same thing when Leopard comes out so I can upgrade all my computers. The family pack will probably be only a little bit more than a single copy (as it is with Tiger...I didn't have to buy two copies of Tiger or the family pack because I bought an upgrade for me, and when my wife got her Mac it already came with Tiger since she bought hers shortly after it had been released) and once again, peace of mind.

Reaction score
Most of the time, Apple likes you to be honest and not use a single user license on multiple computers. But I doubt many people follow that...

Although iWork is a little different. From what I understand, it's the only thing Apple sells that has a serial number that you have to enter to use it.

So... it would be a good idea to get the family license to avoid any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.