• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buying a (refurbished?) MacBook Pro in the NYC area

Reaction score
okay, I am travelling from Germany to New York City in two months to visit a friend.

I was also planning to buy a MacBook Pro on that trip (you can save serious money doing that). Will be in NYC for five days...

I was wondering about two issues:

1) is it possible to get a refurbished MacBook Pro from a store also? Any recommendations for stores selling these? my friend told me that if I want to order at the Online MacStore for example I could do so in advance and give them his address, in order that they deliver when I am there... do you think that might work?

2) I guess the sales tax has to be paid by people living outside the US also... if this is so and if I would buy the MacBook in a store, which would you recommend? Is the sales tax lower in NJ, i.e. it would make sense to rather buy in NJ than in NYC?

Thanks in advance for your advise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Total sales tax in NYC is 8.375%. Total sales tax in NJ is 7%.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks guys, info really appreciated

guess I'll be looking on the mac online store couple of weeks before my trip, and if I don't find anything there i'll head into the store when I'm there.

can't wait :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.