Photo Rotation Issue...

Reaction score
So I take my pictures with my Canon SD700 (which is probably irrelevant) and upload them. Some thumbnails are sideways, etc.
If I open them in Viewer and then rotate and save them... they don't save that way. WHY NOT?!?!?!
If I open them in CS3, they automatically go upright o_0 So if I open them in CS3 and resave them as is, then the thumbnail fixes itself.
Guh, is there any easier way to do this?! It's driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Check to see if your camera has an auto rotate feature. for both the thumbnail AND file as they are written separately. I shoot Canon as well and my DRebel's auto rotate does both, some cameras only rotate the file, some only rotate the thumbnail, hopefully yours does both at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
So I take my pictures with my Canon SD700 (which is probably irrelevant) and upload them. Some thumbnails are sideways, etc.
If I open them in Viewer and then rotate and save them... they don't save that way. WHY NOT?!?!?!
If I open them in CS3, they automatically go upright o_0 So if I open them in CS3 and resave them as is, then the thumbnail fixes itself.
Guh, is there any easier way to do this?! It's driving me nuts.

That made me mad too. I don't know why it's like that. I just used a freeware program to rotate my pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think it might be the "lossless" rotation bug:

Preview is "smart" and simply changes the orientation exif tag, so that nothing is actually altered on the image itself.

But not all apps bother checking the flag, so they'll appear to be unrotated.
You can force preview to perform a lossy rotation by editing or altering the quality, but it's usually easier to use a different app altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Btw, I think Adobe Photoshop CS3 automatically detects a sideways portfolio and rotates it appropriately. This was the weirdest thing yesterday. When I opened a couple of 'tall' snaps, it automatically showed them the proper way....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.