Back from PC BON-BON AND SUGARPLUM LAND

Reaction score
Long ago, when I first started my design career, I worked on Macs and life was good. Very good.

Then I moved to Houston and found that a lot of companies couldn't see the logic of buying a Mac and outfitted designers with PCs. :Angry-Tongue: And when my Mac got old, my husband replaced with a PC! Horrific I know! :Not-Amused:

I'm getting ready to change jobs and my new company is an all Mac office! (fanfare music please). I am so excited to finally be out of PC h3!!. I have served my time and don't plan on ever going back!

Ok so what did I miss?

Can someone bring me up to speed on cool new software (just found about Keynotes! OMG!). What are must haves? I'm already Quark/Photoshop/Illustrator proficient and will be so happy to work in these programs on a Mac again. Should I convert to InDesign? What kind of cool animation software is out there.

Thanks everybody!

Glad to be back!

Woohoo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Welcome back to MacLand (and welcome to Mac-Forums)! I can't fill you in (too new), but I couldn't pass up the celebration. ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Welcome back - how long have you been away from Macs? A LOT has changed.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, ellisvalin!

Ok the last Mac OS you used was 7.5.3? Earlier? Later? You'll be quite lost with OS X, I'm afraid. Do you have an idea of what your new workplace will be using, by any chance? Is it Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.x)? Is it Mac OS X Panther (10.3.x)?

It might help us if you gave us details.

If the workplace runs on OS X Tiger, I would suggest you get a book called Mac OS X, Tiger Edition: The Missing Manual by David Pogue: it'll be a big help to get you reacquainted with the Mac's contemporary OS.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yep, my last memory of working on a Mac was OS7 and I will ask which OS the new company is working on. Thank you guys so much. I know I've missed a lot. Sigh. My current office has such an anti-Mac climate it's unreal. The head guy is a number crusher of the highest degree and I doubt there's a creative bone in their body. It has been rough to say the least. I'll get that info for you and get back with you all. Thank you so much.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The head guy is a number crusher of the highest degree and I doubt there's a creative bone in their body.

I crunch numbers on my Macs also. My Core Duo Intel Mini does a quite good job at that! :D

Welcome back. Glad you are getting into a job where it sounds like you will be happy again!

If we can help you in any way, let us know.

OP
E
Reaction score
Here's what we're working with

I got an email from our Mac guru...

...Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger), and they typically use the following software:

Apple iWork ‘08 (Pages, Keynote and Numbers)
Apple iLife ‘08 (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Garage Band)
Microsoft Office 2004 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage for email)
Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design, Dreamweaver, Flash and Acrobat)
Apple Final Cut Pro for video​

So I'll definitely be getting the recommended Mac OSX Tiger book to get myself reacquainted.

I am truly excited about this position. It's really the creative position I've always wanted and with an agency no less. I'm going to renew my subscriptions to all the design magazines, join my local art directors club.

My current gig just sucked all the creative life out of me. But without my current job I wouldn't be the preferred and only candidate for my new gig because the industry is highly desirable.

So the truly creative juices are flowing again and I'm so excited. Heck I'm near tears.

Thanks everybody!

And to my number crunching friend on a Mac...you rock. I knew it was possible to do both! LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I left the PC's 2 weeks ago, I haven't looked back.

I left Windows because I was fed up with the reboot's and crashes. Oh and the spyware!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.