HELP me dump the POS known as AOL!

Reaction score
Okay,

So, im gonna say this, and im gonna say it now. I HATE the AOL software.
Im not getting rid of it as an ISP, because a friend of mine made me a screen name on their account so i basically get free internet, so i cant complain.
But the AOL software itself has gotta go.

But i have dial up (live too far away for DSL), and the thing i liked about aol is that i didnt have to go to a web site to check my mail because it takes forever, but ill sacrifice that with joy if i get this software out of my life.

I have aim and i use safari, i only use AOL to connect to the internet.

So is there a program where i can dial in, without the need for the AOL software, that wont cost me extra money?

Answer my prayers,

Tanner.

Reaction score
i dont think so. if you absolutely have to use dialup though, use peoplepc. its like 10 a month and has no software besides a dialer afaik.

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
i dont think so. if you absolutely have to use dialup though, use peoplepc. its like 10 a month and has no software besides a dialer afaik.

well obviously dial up wouldnt be my first choice, we live too far away for any other reasonably priced(less than $75/mo) solution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You may also wish to check out Earthlink. They still offer dialup, and have a "low usage" package that starts at $6.95 / month. I have had it for years and years and years, and keep it simply because the associated email address is so well known to so many people. It has never been worth $6.95 per month to me to get rid of it!

I have an old DOS/Windows 3.1 box that I use to check the Earthlink dialup now and then just to be sure it is still working. As of a few weeks ago, it still was. Blazing speeds :D of up to 56 Kbps!

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Well,
I installed AOL connect and it works great. I also downloaded the aol setup assistant or whatever, and configured iChat, and Mail for my screen name.
AWESOME! No AOL whatsoever.
Besides the fact it took me 8 hours to remove the 1693 artifacts of AOL all over my Mac, so i ended up removing everything that said aol (including AOL connect), to make it easier on myself. Ill just reinstall it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Well,
I installed AOL connect and it works great. I also downloaded the aol setup assistant or whatever, and configured iChat, and Mail for my screen name.
AWESOME! No AOL whatsoever.
Besides the fact it took me 8 hours to remove the 1693 artifacts of AOL all over my Mac, so i ended up removing everything that said aol (including AOL connect), to make it easier on myself. Ill just reinstall it.
I'm glad to know that it worked for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.