Transmission issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I just got to college with my brand new mac and have discovered while the internet here is super fast, transmission crawls along at low speeds like 0.8k. Is there any way I can up the speed?

Reaction score
most universities cripple the speeds of torrents on their network... is there an internal program like DC++ at your school?

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
not sure, how do i check?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
What visualpurple said is true. Torrent programs work wonderfully at home for me, but then slow down a lot while I'm at school during the day (and the speed is about the same when browsing the internet at both home and school). DC++ is the standard client used in most schools that I know of. Ask another student at your college, and/or talk to the tech department.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are there any workarounds? and what about programs that update through bittorrent, like WoW?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
No work-a-rounds usually, they typically cripple P2P speeds as Comcast just did to all its subscribers. P2P transfers use so much bandwidth that universities and schools regularly throttle the speeds so that everyone has a good connection.

Reaction score
I also read somewhere that Transmission is banned on some tracker sites because of how it communicates with the tracker...I am not sure if it is still the case since I don't use torrents at all...maybe another torrent expert can clarify.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Yes, it is banned by some torrent sites, unfortunately.

You could try xTorrent, but you may have to purchase it to use extra features. Seems like a good client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
are there any workarounds? and what about programs that update through bittorrent, like WoW?

You're probably not supposed to be playing WoW... If you read the technology user agreement (or something similar that you probably had to sign) it probably specifies that you are not to play online games either. They probably work, and work alot better than Bittorrent does, but most schools specify that their internet is ONLY to be used for school related things. I know that's what my school said.

But I used the heck out of Bittorrent at school. It was slow, but it always got the job done. I just had some serious NAT errors, and could never get a good upload speed, which also hept me from getting a good download speed... You just have to deal with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.