Haven't switched yet, dearly want to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Hello, I am new to your site. I hope I am posting this in the right section, I could not find a new member's section. I sadly use a Dell Dimension 4600 (Otherwise known as the Dell POS) from 2004 running Windows XP home.... the CD ROM drive broke and Dell designed there computers with no reverse compatibility so I have to buy their overpriced products(all 3rd party drives were rejected!) so I have to transfer all disk data to my computer using flash drives........ It is slowing down like crazy, and only has a measly 512MB of RAM with 40GB of HD space... I hate my computer. I am in my Senior year of high school and when I graduate, my mom is going to get me the 2.2 Ghz MBP and I am SOOO pumped. I know it is 3/4 of a year away from now, but I think that I should get an early starts on things. I am looking forward to seeing if Apple pulls any of its surprise updates on the MBP models between now and then. I know OS X Leopard is coming out in October and i-life 08 was just released. I am so happy. I will be using my MBP for College, photography, photo editing, music libraries, multimedia, web page management, and who knows what else I'll add to my list. I hope to learn a lot from the members here on the Mac-Forums. Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I would doubt the 2.2GHz will still be available in 9 months. Intel are introducing a 2.6GHz Merom in the coming weeks and lowering the prices on the 2.4GHz> that are currently in the MBPs by quite a bit. That could mean a price drop pretty soon or an upgrade (replacing the 2.2GHz with 2.4GHz and the 2.4GHz with the 2.6GHz) to keep them at the same price point. I'd expect to see this by January at the latest, but I don't see why Apple couldn't do it earlier, and then possibly a bigger update around the time you should get yours.

OP
Rowe2ry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's quite exciting news! I've been researching the best I can but all I get is what's on Apple's website, and online reviews, this is why I joined the forums. Everything is proving helpful already. I'm hoping that by then I can be looking at an improved model, the Macbook Pros are so good already now, even the previous revision blows away the competition.

2 Quick questions, and I am quite used to forums so you can yell at me if these are common.

1. I have Photoshop CS2. Photoshop CS2 is not universal but I can use Rosetta to run it right? How complicated would it be to set this up and how much slower will it be than CS3 running natively (I can't afford to get CS3)?

2. This is probably a big n00b question. On the Matte Vs. Glossy debate. I shoot with an SLR camera and I am big into photography. The glossy screen looks to me like a consumer-targeted oversaturation device that does not display accurate color (rather brighter versions of colors). I know getting Matte over glossy will reduce reflections but which is more true to natural color (My Canon D Rebel XT is rated to replicate true-to-life colors very well, I want my workflow to do the same). Is Matte Dull and Glossy True? Or is Matte True and Glossy overdone?

Reaction score
Hey Rowe2ry, I'm in the same position as you and am just saving up now to get the same MBP, so I understand your frustration entirely. At work I'm currently using Windows 2000 which freezes for about 3mins every half an hour. Arrrgh!!

I'll probably be able to buy mine within a month, but now reading that about the new 2.6ghz I may wait. And not to mention OS X Leopard.

God it's so hard to choose when to buy. How annoyed would you be if you bought a brand spanking new computer and then a week later a better version came out leaving you with the outdated version. Grrr! I guess you've just got to bite the bullet in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G
You can find the whole matte vs. glossy debate other places in this forum, but I'll give you a quick personal opinion I have heard that matte puts out more true color and shows exactly what will print. I am also into digital SLR photography. I choose a Matte screen, and I have been very happy with it so far. Some brillant color come out of MBP displays and the matte screen has proven to be worthy.

As far as photoshop, it will run slightly slower due to rosetta yet you'll be buying such a fast machine probably 2.4 ghz or up that you wont notice it (assuming the version you have is for Mac OS). The path I took with photoshop is I did buy CS3 but used my college educational discounts to get it for half price. These discount are avaiable to anyone or can legitamitly justify there education placement. I am very happy with it.

You will be overwhelmed with your MBP, they are amazing machines. I discover new cool things everyday. I am so happy to have decided to switch and get away from terrible PC's.

OP
Rowe2ry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thank you. I am so excited it feels like it's just around the corner. I can almost feel myself double finger scrolling, I can see the doc magnifying. I can see my installed apps and widgets at work....... So close I can almost feel the heat generating off of the aluminum shell........... I can't wait!.... oh wait......... It's not for another year...... This is torture!

OP
Rowe2ry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh MY GOD! I just got back from the Apple store to play around with the Macbook pro that meets the specs I want. I wasn't just impressed, I was flat out BLOWN AWAY! That is the sweetest little slice of technology I have ever rested my palms on. Purely amazing, much sexier in person. Photoshop started instantly. I have to wait about 3 minutes for it to be up and ready on my computer. I absolutely love it! My mom said that since I like it so much and sked me if I sincerely thought it would help me in school (I said yes because it is so much more reliable) then I could get it for Christmas after my first Report Card rather than wait for the end of the year to see my 2nd report card. I am sooooooo excited!!!!!!!! I love that machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
well i hope you enjoy your MBP......... stick in there for the wait it'll be well worth the trouble.... and the new OS and hardware changes will be soooooo sweet to have....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
its worth the wait

OP
Rowe2ry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I almost forgot, my mom and I took a picture on the MBP I want in thermal mode from the store. Just a cool memory of the experience. I can't wait until December and I have one of these running Leopard on this very desk I'm typing at.

Photo1.jpg

eh... it didn't come out the best, but still a good memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
That's quite exciting news! I've been researching the best I can but all I get is what's on Apple's website, and online reviews, this is why I joined the forums. Everything is proving helpful already. I'm hoping that by then I can be looking at an improved model, the Macbook Pros are so good already now, even the previous revision blows away the competition.

2 Quick questions, and I am quite used to forums so you can yell at me if these are common.

1. I have Photoshop CS2. Photoshop CS2 is not universal but I can use Rosetta to run it right? How complicated would it be to set this up and how much slower will it be than CS3 running natively (I can't afford to get CS3)?

2. This is probably a big n00b question. On the Matte Vs. Glossy debate. I shoot with an SLR camera and I am big into photography. The glossy screen looks to me like a consumer-targeted oversaturation device that does not display accurate color (rather brighter versions of colors). I know getting Matte over glossy will reduce reflections but which is more true to natural color (My Canon D Rebel XT is rated to replicate true-to-life colors very well, I want my workflow to do the same). Is Matte Dull and Glossy True? Or is Matte True and Glossy overdone?

I just wanted to say as another photographer, get the fastest hard drive available when you buy it, I made the mistake of getting the default 5400rpm drive, and it makes working in photoshop a huge PITA. also in response to your question, definitely get the matte screen. like you said, the glossy is more for consumers who want the most vivid picture possible whereas the matte is a lot more accurate. get the screen calibrated as well so you when you edit you're seeing accurate colors. I have the previous gen mbp, and I can tell you that the screen (even calibrated) is not very good. I lose a ton of details in the shadows especially, and the colors are not very accurate. the new LED screens should be better, and the reviews do say so, but I haven't tested them out myself so I'm not sure. if at all possible use a (good) external display (I use a dell 2005fpw). the mbp has a DVI-out so it has a very good digital output. lastly, I don't know if you shoot RAW or not with your XT (if not, I'd definitely recommend trying it), but if you do, try out aperture and lightroom and see which you like better. they're both great programs and speed up your workflow a lot, from organization to minor adjustments in WB, cropping, etc. lastly, I would recommend CS3 if you can get it as it will be a LOT faster than CS2. most of the time you don't need to prove that you're a college student on apple's site, and if you do you'll be one next year. if you have any other questions aim me jnevmtbx.

Reaction score
apple will give you a student discount even if your in highschool. thats what the guy at the apple store told me, and online it has my highschool listed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.