help.... looking for spreadsheet program that a PC will read

Reaction score
I am using my trial version of Excel to make an important spreadsheet file. I was told by the receiver of my e-mail that she could not read it because it was a Mac excel file. What application do I need to get so that a PC user to can read my excel files????

Thanks, I'm in a bind.

TWM

Reaction score
microsoft excel should work fine. Maybe it didn't because its a trial? i am not sure. i use excel between my mac and pc all the time.

Reaction score
I am using my trial version of Excel to make an important spreadsheet file. I was told by the receiver of my e-mail that she could not read it because it was a Mac excel file. What application do I need to get so that a PC user to can read my excel files????

Thanks, I'm in a bind.

I just started using iWorks which has a spreadsheet program in it (numbers). I have emailed sample spreadsheets to friends and they say they can read it them fine (they all have PCs and I have a Mac). Download the free trial and give it a try.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try using the mail windows friendly option in your e-mail next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Numbers in iWork 08 is amazing. Though I've not had any problems with opening mac excel files on a PC..

Reaction score

Thanks, I'm in a bind.

Unless there was a glitch in the transmission of the excel formatted spreadsheet the pc should be able to read it with no problems. There IS no difference between a mac excel file and a pc excel file unless you might be using some weird macro type things.

You might check into either NeoOffice or Open Office about doing your spreadsheets. Both programs are free and both will handle excel files, just be sure to save them as such as they will give you saving options.

Give em a try, and also remember it could be that the lady just doesn't know what she is doing and the problem is on her end. Try sending the file to a couple others and try it and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
there is also OpenOffice which i used to use on Linux. When you save documents you have the option to save them as a Microsoft office document so that they can open it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.