antivirus for boot camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Hey, i just started using windows with boot camp and i want to keep it secure, are there any god free anti-virus programs that are not resource hogs like norton? if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Take a look at AVG. It's actually more effective than the garbage Norton/McAfee put out, and takes up only a fraction of the resources

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
Hey, i just started using windows with boot camp and i want to keep it secure, are there any god free anti-virus programs that are not resource hogs like norton? if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Here's the link to the free version of AVG:
http://free.grisoft.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Avg free is the best.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
thanks, seems like avg is the way to go then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I've tried all these antivirus packages. Somehow some stuff slips through and corrupts my system. Every two months I got to format the PC....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If stuff is slipping through, then it may not be the anti-virus's fault, but rather your computing habits. If you follow safe protocols, such as using Firefox/Opera and not opening e-mail attachments from people you don't know, not to mention staying away from websites that would try and get malicious code onto your computer, then you won't have to worry about a virus infection. You may also want to look into a more robust firewall if you get a virus every 2 months.

I've been using AVG for years and have yet to experience a virus attacking my system because I use my computer responsibly.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

AntiVir and AVG are two I really like and neither has ever let me down.

There is NO way AntiVir or AVG will allow any Virus to Slip Through if you keep them updated. What you are seeing is probably Malware and Spyware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I don't know how it happens. And that too I'm running Vista. I guess I'm spoilt by OS X so I just allow people to plug in their pen drive whenever they feel like...(use Safari and never open unknown attachments from email).

TWM

Reaction score
I really like Nod32 for my windows machines. its very light weight and very effective...i think they have a 30 day free trial, and its something like $30 to buy it.

Reaction score
I really like Nod32 for my windows machines. its very light weight and very effective...i think they have a 30 day free trial, and its something like $30 to buy it.

I recommend using antivir if you are looking for freeware and don't need the best protection for windows because you just spend little time using it.
If you are somebody who has to use windows more often I suggest buying a software and ESET's Nod32 is probably the best antivirus software for Windows out there (it is a bit technical though).

http://daysofourmacbooksre.wordpress.com/2007/08/11/security-for-windows-part-i-anti-virus/

kuchiki

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.