• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iMac Deliveries...Long and Getting Longer

Reaction score
I ordered a new 2.8 iMac, with 4 GB Ram, on August 14th, when the web site indicated shipment in “5-7 Days". When I received my purchase confirmation, that document indicated shipment in "5-7 business days". Hmmmm...a little misleading. When I received no shipment confirmation at the appropriate time, I called Apple; they said the iMac would ship by August 23rd, and that they would comp 2-day shipping for the “inconvenience” (read: you caught us misleading you, so we’ll pay – a little – for it). On the 23rd, I again received no shipment confirmation, and called Apple; they said that the product would now ship by August 31st. I asked for email confirmation and they were happy to oblige. Guess what? That email said that the product would ship “between” August 31 and September 6, and be delivered by September 10th. ***? This is the worst service, and the most distasteful experience I've ever had with Apple - and I've had a lot of (buying) experience. Misleading web site ship dates, no communication, no notice on delays, ambiguous telephone conversations with Apple Store CS reps that don't sync with email follow up. I would not have cared if the web site originally said "delivery within 30 days", or if I had received an honest email communication apologizing for the delay and committing to a "hard" date, but this is seriously unacceptable behavior, and far beneath Apple’s normal exemplary service. What's up with the minor-league tactics and repeated delays? Product problems? Product re-design (the glossy screen)? Trying to keep the Apple stores stocked at the expense of those who order online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I hope everything works out for you. This is not good news as I placed my order on the 19th. My noticed said the iMac was slated to ship between 8/27-29, so I will let you know what happens.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I ordered a new 2.8 iMac, with 4 GB Ram, on August 14th, when the web site indicated shipment in “5-7 Days". When I received my purchase confirmation, that document indicated shipment in "5-7 business days". Hmmmm...a little misleading.
Not really. It is a widely known and accepted fact that with regards to shipping time, business days are the timetable used by just about any company out there. This is also explained in the Store's Terms of Service link at the bottom of the Store Page. Therefore, shipment on the 23rd would be the 7th business day after the 14th. The 5-7 day estimate is for the standard model (only 2GB RAM)... and this is only an estimate, not a concrete timeframe. Also, keep in mind that any Custom Built-To-Order systems (like the 4GB RAM model you ordered) will always take longer to ship than a standard model.
It also states in their Sales and Refunds Policy that:

Apple Store Sales and Refund Policy said:
Although Apple makes every effort to ship your order according to the lead-time provided, shipping dates may change due to changes in supply. If the lead-time changes, Apple will contact you via email and provide a revised shipping estimate.

They seem to have kept up this end of the Policy and notified you of an altered shipping timeframe.
I do understand the frustration, but they are operating within the guidelines set by their S&R Policy, which are rather clear and don't really differ greatly from any other company's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 24" C2X
same here, placed my order on the 21st. apple web page advertises 5-7 day shipping when i placed my order, but when i get the confirmation email it says it will ship between 29-31. estimated delivery is 31-7.

this will be my 3rd apple i have ordered in about a year, and i usually get them in 5 or so days. i assume the delay is for the build option with the C2X. i sure hope it comes in the time frame outlined in the confirmation email, i am already a bit disappointed it is going to take a week longer than expected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
Ordered a 24" iMac 8/23/07 added wireless mouse and keyboard which makes it a custom shipment.

I have a ship by 10/5/07 and a receive by 10/11/07!

So now I have the whole Leopard installed not installed question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 24" C2X
^^^ they will probably have a new version of the imac out by that time. :Oops:

Reaction score
Same Here

I'm in the same boat with the first post. My order for a 20/2.4/1G/320/SD/AP/BT with a WIRED keyboard (no mods) was placed on August 7th.

My order still reads "Not Yet Shipped."
Estimated ship date is August 10-14th.

This is actually a replacement so I can't complain too much. However the service rep handling my order won't respond to my emails and his voicemail keeps saying that the mailbox is full. When I call Apple and try to explain to someone else what my situation is it's painful. The only way anyone has been able to help is to forward me to a seemingly more intelligent person/service rep which then magically triggers a response from the original service rep who has been avoiding me. Then he just says he doesn't know and I settle into another stretch of patience building.

I have been told that iMacs are on backorder across the board. Still, some people have theirs and some people don't. BS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
same here, placed my order on the 21st. apple web page advertises 5-7 day shipping when i placed my order, but when i get the confirmation email it says it will ship between 29-31. estimated delivery is 31-7.

this will be my 3rd apple i have ordered in about a year, and i usually get them in 5 or so days. i assume the delay is for the build option with the C2X. i sure hope it comes in the time frame outlined in the confirmation email, i am already a bit disappointed it is going to take a week longer than expected.

You seemed to have missed the whole "will ship in 5-7 business days" part of the shipping agreement. That means you do not count weekends. So, the product shipping between the 29-31 is perfectly acceptable according to that agreement. Also, it can take up to 5-7 business days to arrive because they ship fedex/ups/dhl...and depending on where you are in the US and where those items ship from, AND what their stock levels are...the shipping time they gave you sounds thoroughly accurate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 24" C2X
well i guess im asking to much.

i work for a large electronics retailer, and when i order products for a customer they usually arrive before the estimated arrival date for shipping. late saturday (after 7pm, so no orders shipped that day) i had placed an order for a small amount of lenovo T61s (standard 5 day shipping) and the customer received them on tuesday from UPS. i guess im just used to getting electronics in that kind of time frame.

im not really disgruntled or anything, just think it would be nice if they quoted 2 weeks for delivery. ill get angry if it doesn't ship in the time the email says.

so, has anyone received their imac yet? or are they in fact backordered?

edit: huh, cant say the P word around here i guess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I justcheckedmy order status and my new iMac shipped today! The estimated ship dates were the 27-29 so they made it within the projected window. Now begins the worst part...the waiting game.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
well i guess im asking to much.

i work for a large electronics retailer, and when i order products for a customer they usually arrive before the estimated arrival date for shipping. late saturday (after 7pm, so no orders shipped that day) i had placed an order for a small amount of lenovo T61s (standard 5 day shipping) and the customer received them on tuesday from UPS. i guess im just used to getting electronics in that kind of time frame.

im not really disgruntled or anything, just think it would be nice if they quoted 2 weeks for delivery. ill get angry if it doesn't ship in the time the email says.

so, has anyone received their imac yet? or are they in fact backordered?

edit: huh, cant say the P word around here i guess

You have to fathom the sheer amount of orders they likely got. In cases like this, there were more orders than expected, and they likely wanted to ship them all at the same time. 5-7 business days to ship and 5-7 to arrive isn't all that uncommon in the world of shipping.

Now smaller companies can do that faster...I know that we here at YourMacStore turn around orders the day they come in and they leave that day if possible. (not on weekends when we're closed) Even USPS orders can go out the same day if they're urgent and we get them prior to 11am.

It's all a matter of company size mixed with how many orders they receive. Lord knows if I got 100 orders I had to pack and ship myself in a couple hours...I'd probably blow a fuse. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
You have to fathom the sheer amount of orders they likely got. In cases like this, there were more orders than expected, and they likely wanted to ship them all at the same time.

When my fiance bought his 20" iMac in mid-July, he got the display unit from an authorized reseller because they had nothing else. They told us (and we talked to more than one store in the area) that they were running out of iMacs all over and they were on backorder. Once the new ones came out, orders have probably poured into Apple like the Mississippi river going down a two inch pipe!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will cancel my order, drove down to the apple store today and picked one up. The drawback is no student discount, cause my daughter is not here to show her ID and no wireless keyboard and mouse package. my new 24" iMac is AWESOME

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Congrats on your new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Excellent, ATC!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks!! this thing is awesome! The whole story of getting this is pretty kewl. I just switched from pc to mac in April (after 20+ yrs of pc) and got a 20" iMac and a 13.3" macbook. Well I took my wife to the apple store last week and she saw the new models and said, "You bought a little too soon, this one matches our family room better." I said well I could always sell the one we have and get the new one and she went for it! My 20" sold last nite on ebay for $1145 which helped finance this 24" beautiful machine!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 24" C2X
for any one who cares, my imacs status is now "ready to ship" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Congrats Oricle. You'll love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is "Out for delivery". I'm dying over here!!! :)

Sean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.