Re-switcher?

Reaction score
Hi there! I was a die-hard Mac user from 1985 (yes, the venerable Mac 128) to 1997. In '97 I got mad at Apple because of the limited software, and the hardware (inc. accessories) was FAR more expensive that what was out for the PC. Fast forward to 2007. I feel the pull for a new desktop and I decided to re-switch. (Or does this forum have a name for someone who is to be a reformed Mac user?) So here's my plan to rejoin the flock:

I like to play the occasional game, despite not being good at any of them. I also do a lot of presentations and things like that. So, in about two weeks. I'm ordering a iMac 24" 2.8GHz with 500GB drive and 2GB RAM (the stock high-end unit). My dilemma was: should I wait for Leopard? Here's why I'm not:

I'm an educator for a University, and right now I can get (with purchase of a new iMac) a free iPod Nano as well as Adobe Creative Premium 3 for $299. Both of those deals end 9/16. If I wait until the Leopard release I lose that deal but I save (from what I've read) $69 for the educational upgrade version. I think the discount on Adobe is WAY better than free Leopard.

I'm waiting until the last moment to order (which is why I'm buying it in two weeks) JUST IN CASE, unlikely though it may be, that they announce the release date for Leopard before 9/16 and I can get that "up-to-date" special I've read about. I highly doubt it'll work out like that, since Apple is surely smarter than that and my luck doesn't run that way, but it'd KILL me if I ordered it today and then in two weeks I could have gotten Leopard for $10 S&H.

Anyway, whether I'm re-switched or reformed, I'll be glad to be back. I might not have the gaming 'puter I wanted, but I'll have a much better computer than I might have otherwise had. And best of all: NO VISTA!

Cheers,
Traci

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
well, welcome back to Mac. first things first, i noticed last year when my wife bought her MacBook and iPod everything was al nice. then, after the rebate programs expired, everything got upgraded. You could you your rebate checks to upgrade to Leopard when it comes out. i know you will love it no matter what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Say. I hear that if you buy a machine 1 month before the OS comes out, you get a free upgrade to the newer OS (Leopard). So if you wait till say the 10th of September (leopard's rumoured to be coming on 5th Oct?), you could get the best of both worlds.

And welcome back :)

OP
TBFoxRDMS
Reaction score
So if you wait till say the 10th of September (leopard's rumoured to be coming on 5th Oct?), you could get the best of both worlds.

Yup! That's the master plan. And if it doesn't work, oh well. ;D

Traci

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Go check out my other post regarding how today's Mac OS is nothing like that which you experience back in 1997. It's all better now. Good enough, I would say, that waiting for Leopard is not really necessary. It'll be nice when it comes, and I'll probably buy it after a few months of it being out (and a couple of Software Updates to clear out the inevitable bugs) but there's really no reason to wait if you have those kinds of deals available for you.

Heck, the best I got was a free printer. Nice, but not an iPod, and certainly not a heavily discounted Adobe Suite. Which is pretty sweet (!)

OP
TBFoxRDMS
Reaction score
Hey, I remember all the excitement when System 7 came out. I went to one of those "History of the Mac OS" websites recently and it really made me smile seeing the first OSs that I used to use. (Think of getting the System, MacPaint and MacWrite on one 400k disk nowadays, eh?) I remember the little Mac with the blinking "?" waiting for the disk to be inserted. The good old days of Beyond Dark Castle (which I have found online). Flying Toasters. Ah, flying toasters. My favorite was the original MS Flight Simulator, with the Red Baron dogfight game. I must say the game had quite an effect on me: I went to get my private pilot's certificate in 1996.

Good times. With the Mac.
Traci

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My favorite was the original MS Flight Simulator, with the Red Baron dogfight game. I must say the game had quite an effect on me: I went to get my private pilot's certificate in 1996.

Good times. With the Mac.
Traci

Well, there you go. Proper PP-ASEL's should use a Mac!

Even if they haven't flown since 1997...stupid money.

OP
TBFoxRDMS
Reaction score
I haven't flown since '05. :Angry-Tongue:

Work, grad school, money, friend-who-own-the-airplane-getting-married... the usual excuses. <sigh> One of these days.

OH - and my friends and I went to Atlantic City last night. I don't gamble (because I don't win) so I went to the shops there (The Pier) and went right to the Apple Store. I played with it for about an hour. A salesperson came over and asked if I needed help. We talked for about a half hour on My Dilemma. Nice guy. I really like what I saw of iWork and the interface. I am getting very excited, but I'm still waiting two weeks. I hope that big announcement they're predicting (for the Nano, supposedly) on 9/5 involves the Leopard release date.

Please. please. please.

OP
TBFoxRDMS
Reaction score
Did it!

I just ordered my first Mac since I had my IIsi 10 years ago. I should have a spanking new 2.8GHz 24" sitting on my desk (hopefully) next Tuesday.
Looking forward to having a Mac back on my desk. Also ooking forward to Leopard's release, too.

Have fun, everyone! ;D
Traci

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.