Missing Space on Macbook Hardrive HELP!

Reaction score
Ok so i got my macbook about 3 weeks ago, and one thing i immediatly noticed was that out of my 80 gigs that shoud be available, only about 57 were available, i understand that im not going to get the 80 gigs anyways, but i really should have had about 73 or 70 something gigs of space. now after ive put stuff onto my computer, i only have about 40 :(

First of all let me explain that im positive that i purchased the 80 gig macbook, and im also positive that i had nothing at all downloaded etc. , on my computer. Very strange to me. ANY help would be great.

Please and thank-you.

-Mexalicious

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Mine was about the same way :(. Once I installed Bootcamp and VMware fusion, I was down to about 10 GB free. Add a couple of ripped movies and I was out of space.

I ended up buying a new internal 250GB from newegg for $179. I am now using my 80GB as an external for backups. Needless to say, I am happy :)

Search the threads here, there are some things you can delete, like garageband files, languages, etc that will free up quite a bit of space.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
What armychief said, a program called Whatsize is really good for finding large files that you dont want or need, it helped me free up a ton of space, also monolingual would be the program to use to remove language packs, that alone can save you about 3 gigs of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
another vote for Whatsize. i just used it to reclaim 10gb from my MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.