networking: not as advertised

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I have a MacBook, a wireless router, a cable internet connection, and a network -ready laser printer. They have defied all my efforts to introduce them to one another. (well, the laptop and the internet get along alright, as long as the router isn't present.)
Searching for help, all I find are vague assurances from Apple that networking is SO EASY and WONDERFUL. Not so much!
Can anyone give me a first step? I would think that would be the router. Maybe the printer. At my wit's end here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
First things first-

1. What make/model is your router?
2. What brand is your printer?
3. Do you have the printer drivers installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have a MacBook, a wireless router, a cable internet connection, and a network -ready laser printer. They have defied all my efforts to introduce them to one another. (well, the laptop and the internet get along alright, as long as the router isn't present.)
Searching for help, all I find are vague assurances from Apple that networking is SO EASY and WONDERFUL. Not so much!
Can anyone give me a first step? I would think that would be the router. Maybe the printer. At my wit's end here.

Your right, you were lied to, Apple is just a scam to get your money. If you hurry you can sell your Mac and go get a nice new shiny Dell with Vista.

Reaction score
First steps to networking

1 Open a finder window, click applications, and then utilities.

2 Double click the “Network Utility” icon

3 Click the Ping tab

4 In the pleas enter the network address to ping test field enter the IP address of the computer that has the printer. If you are using WinXP and you don't know your IP address of your pc it is easy to find. First you click on start then right click My Network Places and then properties. From the network connections window, right click your local area network connection icon then click on status. Click the support tab and the IP address will be displayed.

5 Select the Send Only x Pings radio button and enter 5 in the text field.

6 Click the ping button if nothing happens it might be your router or firewall.

If all is ok then this is the next part.

1 Click the system preferences icon on the dock.

2 Click the sharing icon under internet and networking

3 Click the services tab

4 Enable the connections for Mac and windows sharing

5 Close the system preferences.

More steps

Then setup a network on the windows side and make sure the printer is shared then repeat steps 1, 2, 3 from above

4 Select the share these printers with other computers check box.

5 Click the printer you want to share. Then you are done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.