• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hughes.net satellite?

Reaction score
Anyone have Hughes.net as their provider? Where I live, I'm stuck with either dial up or satellite. I'm so tired of this dial up but I'm worried about satellite going out or having issues with wind or bad weather.
Hopefully someone can shed some good/bad experiences....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I would look further into the Sat service. They may have dial up service available to you for rainy nights and while traveling.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
They don't. I asked about that. But it's still appealing to me. Does anyone know how secure satellite internet connection is? Compared to dial up (land line)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I have Hughes.net for my satellite connections and even in the worst weather this past winter I still had good service.

Only one time did the snow and ice prevent connection and we went out and wiped it off and it fixed it instantly.

The other time I had a problem (not from weather) it was fixed within a couple minutes by phone. Their support system is great!

Although it's a bit expensive, I think it's worth it especially if you can't get anything else besides dial-up. That's the case where I live and I couldn't handle dial-up with my new Mac.

Hope this helps, if you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.