• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Can't find a desk I like...need suggestions plz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV
I am moving into a new apartment in a few weeks and I need a new computer desk. I've got a laptop and a couple desktops I use somewhat regularly, and a good amount of peripherals, so I need a lot of desk space.

I am having a really hard time trying to find something I really like, I want something lighter in color, I'm not really big on wood grain to be honest. I like the more plain and industrial looking stuff.
It has to be a pretty long, I'd prefer something around 5-6 feet long.
I've looked at so many sites, been to IKEA a couple times and I still can't decide. My budget is $250 max, I'd prefer not to spend much over $200 though.

I don't know if I'm just being picky or what, but it will be somewhere I spend a good amount of my time so I want to make sure I get something I'm happy with.
I'm getting burnt out on looking at desks.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I can't recommend anything, but I think you'll be a little hard-pressed to find something you want with a lot of desk space (probably will need a L style) in the price range you mentioned. For that price, you'll probably have to get something particle board that won't last long unless you don't plan to move any time soon. A good desk is an investment to those who really need them. You might want to think about opening your budget a little more if you can at all.

OP
Josh_MacMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV
I see...well, I may have to get something cheapo just for temporary use until I can spend a bit more.
However I did just find something decent at Staples, it's a basic shell desk with a good amount of room for $200, and it seems pretty sturdy so I may just buy that, maybe down the road I can buy something a lot nicer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz blackbook ,g4 cube, powerbook g4, 8gb iphone
ikea man...sell they have some good stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have this Ikea table and I like it. I took that shelf you see the HP desktop sitting on and moved it to the back leg so my printer sits on it and the paper feeds at me.
It's cool and gives me a lot of desk space with my iMac so I have no complaints there. I moved a small bookshelf next to the desk because I like have space to put my cd's/dvd's and other computer stuff handy. (That's its only downfall, no real shelving or drawers.
It's so cheap, like $65.
The back corner is cut out leaving a space to slide all the cords down so the desk can butt up to the wall nicely and the cords stay pretty neat.
My studio is decent sized, the living space is about 275ft. With a corner desk, it takes up a very minimal amount of wall space.
Bryan

50125_PE146078_S3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I had an 8' top made from formica (lots of patterns to choose from) by a cabinet shop. They can make drawers wherever you want them and it makes a very nice desk in whatever size you need.

Of course, it may be a bit more spendy than you want, but actually it's worth checking on because ours only cost $300.00 (that's for 8'!) and we set it on our old computer desk so we'd have some drawers. Can't even tell that it's on a computer desk. Just looks like drawers.

It would be worth checking on before you make a decision. Good luck! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.