• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

the worst review of all time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
since i got the MacBook and iLife '08, i thought that i would write a review of iLife.

Well, let me say that the only program that i use in iLife is iPhoto. while i have tried iWeb and iMovie, i have never really found them useful to me. However, we do take a lot of pictures.

after opening iPhoto 08, it swept all of my pictures and organized them into events. i am nt sure how it decided what should go with what, but it got a lot of stuff together that it took me almost a year to make Smart Albums of.

let's talk about events. this idea is the greatest. you can scroll through all of the pictures related to that event as you drag the pointer over the icon. if at first iPhoto doesnt get all of the photos into an event, you can simply merge events by dropping one event on top of the other. when i did this, i easily grouped all of my deployment photos that were spread across 12 events in to one event. events has let me get rid almost all of my smart albums. another thing in events is that you can change the thumbnail that is displayed when you view events.

events are great, but one other feature i have found is the hide photo feature. for some reason i just can not seem to get rid of all those misaligned photos that i have took. now somemay say, just get rid of them when you import them. well, that works too, but sometimes i just dont have time to sift through 50 od pictures to do that. or, there are pictures that are bland, but they contain subjects that maybe used later. before all that you could do was just scroll through all of them until you found the picture that you were looking for. now you can just hide all of those pictures. i know this sounds incredibly ridiculous idea, but i have found it very useful.

other than that i have not really divulged much further into the program. i still need try to manipulate photos and export photos. i hope that someone finds this useful. it is pretty plain and only covers a couple of features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
While your post title is right, you could have mentioned what the review was of...:)

But yeah, iPhoto 08 is amazing. The events thing is like a blessing. I like the way Jobs showed thousands of photos at the special event, and then showed events. He can have the RDF only cause there is a product that can back it up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I appreciate your review. I'm going to upgrade this week-end so it was helpful to hear about it.

Only thing is, I haven't used "smart albums." I wonder if I should do some organizing before upgrading to 08?

Thanks for the info! :D

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i used smart albums to separate pictures of my dogs and cat, pictures taken on the ship, and any other event i knew i would come back to. they are like smart playlists in iTunes. however, you do have to add comments that make sense to sort by.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
@carol247: If in case you think creating smart albums now will help you organise things in iPhoto 08, its not. Events are not created according to smart albums. No need to organise now except maybe tagging them pictures.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Thanks for the tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.