Regestry on windows, what on mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Ok so if windows stores settings and other values like that in those dwords n string in its registry, what does os x use to keep track of settings and stuff that would be in the win registry? .plist files?? thats it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
There is also keychain, for storing passwords and logins securely. Other than that, yeah, plist files. But an app can store any document anywhere with any filename.

Reaction score
I think that's where AppCleaner for mac comes in handy, when you delete a program, it delete everything related to it. I hope it deletes all the registry similar stuffs. It should lol XD... i just got my mac a week ago too. Some pros suggest that program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The major difference is that the .plist files from old apps will not mess with or impact your system in any way (except for taking up space), unlike the Windows registry files.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
The major difference is that the .plist files from old apps will not mess with or impact your system in any way (except for taking up space), unlike the Windows registry files.

I assume thats because the plist are separate files as opposed to the windows regestry that is one file that is loaded as one big file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
And quite frankly, they really don't take up that much space at all.
My entire Preference folder (of my User account) takes up a miniscule 64 MB of my 80 GB drive.

The Preference folder of the main Library is only 308 KB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I assume thats because the plist are separate files as opposed to the windows regestry that is one file that is loaded as one big file

You assume correctly...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.