PC Directions need translating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM::4GB ipod mini::4GB iPod nano
So I just started Grad school and I was suprised to hear the IT department say they have no idea how to use macs or how to set them up for the network. Geez get with the times people. Anyways I was wondering if anyone could help me translate these PC directions into directions for my MacBook.
Ok here they are.

1) Go to Control Panel, click on System
2) Click on change name,domain,workgroup settings and change computer name. type in business.xx.edu for the domain.
3) An authentication box will appear and type in the account name and password provided by the IT staff. (I have both of those)
4) A window should appear welcoming you to the Business Domain. Click Ok.

5)They also suggested going into User Accounts and adding a Business Account User.

Ok so if anyone knows how to take those PC directions and translate them to a MacBook language I greatly appreciate it! Also how to go back and forth between user accounts that would be awesome. Thank you

OP
ThePhenom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM::4GB ipod mini::4GB iPod nano
Ok So I'm using OS X. I looked through the webpage you posted and I'm still having some troubles. I can't figure out where to enter in the correct information. Any other help anyone could offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Ok So I'm using OS X. I looked through the webpage you posted and I'm still having some troubles. I can't figure out where to enter in the correct information. Any other help anyone could offer.

The client is configured in OS X with a utility called Directory Access, located in the Applications | Utilities folder. When you open the utility, click Enable next to Active Directory, and then click Active Directory. From this screen you can click Configure, and then enter your Active Directory Forest and Domain. Enter a computer ID for your Mac. Click Unhide Advanced Options, and select the Cache Last User Login for Offline Operation and Allow Administration by: check boxes. Add the usernames and groups to have administrative access to your Mac in the format domain name\user or group, and then click Bind. You will be prompted for a user account with rights to join your domain. Click OK and then click Authentication at the top. Make sure Active Directory is still highlighted. In the Search dropdown list, click Custom Path, and then click Add at the bottom. Select your Active Directory Domain from the list and click Add. Now click Contacts, and then Add. Last, click Apply and close the Directory Access window. After you restart, you should be able to log in with a domain user account and password.

Perhaps this still isn't enough for your users. Do you need even more from Active Directory? Apple has an update to OS X, version 10.4 (code-named Tiger), due out next year, that promises to solve some of the security and configuration issues and provide cleaner integration with Active Directory login and home directories. Unfortunately, Apple has a history of dangling the promise of such features in front of its customers without delivering, so we'll have to wait and see.

OP
ThePhenom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow I was way off with what I was trying. Thanks Village Idiot I'll go give that a try

OP
ThePhenom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and select the Cache Last User Login for Offline Operation and Allow Administration by: check boxes. Add the usernames and groups to have administrative access to your Mac in the format domain name\user or group, and then click Bind.

I didn't have the options to Cache Last user Login for Offline or any of the options listed above under my advanced options. I was wondering about that and what I would need them for??

I'm still working on the rest just wanted to clarify those instructions above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.