Getting a MacBook

Reaction score
am gonna get the base model; couple of questions though

1. is 1gb ram good enough for now or should i upgrade to the 2gb and if i choose to upgrade later should i replace the the two 512mb with two 1gb or just swap one of the 512 for a gig

2. how much hard drive should i get, i was thinking 80gb and then buying a western digital external 120gb for cheap on ebay

3. being almost sept, leopard is coming out in OCT, should i wait till they ship them with leopard or wait till they get the kinks out and buy leopard at a later date

4. being a college student, i can get the free nano, should i get it? If i get it, i could sell it and use that money for leopard but if i dont have to put the money on my card, i dont want to

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
am gonna get the base model; couple of questions though

1. is 1gb ram good enough for now or should i upgrade to the 2gb and if i choose to upgrade later should i replace the the two 512mb with two 1gb or just swap one of the 512 for a gig

2. how much hard drive should i get, i was thinking 80gb and then buying a western digital external 120gb for cheap on ebay

3. being almost sept, leopard is coming out in OCT, should i wait till they ship them with leopard or wait till they get the kinks out and buy leopard at a later date

4. being a college student, i can get the free nano, should i get it? If i get it, i could sell it and use that money for leopard but if i dont have to put the money on my card, i dont want to

thanks

1. Upgrade later, its much cheaper, and get 2 1gb..i reccomend crucial
2. HD space is all up to you. If you feel that using an external is no proble m then go for it. Me personally I would rather have the most HD space in my laptop as possible. This is assuming oyu travel wit your laptop like me.
3. Again if you need it get it. Leopard will be cheap. If you can wait feel free
4. Dude get the free nano...get the rebate (take like 6 weeks) and u either have a free nano or like you said yo have an extra 200 bucks.

Hoep ths helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
1) 1Gb Ram is ok but if you intend in doing anything with large files be it photography or movies, or you like to multi-task with many programs, then 2Gb is probably a better option. As already suggested, upgrade your ram at a later date after purchase. its much cheaper and doesnt void your warranty!

2) I currently have an 80gb drive sitting in my macbook and I've just connected a 250Gb HDD as a backup drive via USB. Again it really depends on what you intend to be doing. If you intend in being portable a lot of the time then obviously opt for more stoarage on board. If its going to mainly be used at home with occasinal travelling out then stick with maybe the 80Gb and use an external drive as well.

3) You could wait forever if you waited for the next cool thing. Yeh the new OS is going to be amazing but the current one isnt bad either ;) Just get your macbook when you are ready and then upgrade when your ready. Its easy to upgrade the OS with macs anyway so dont worry :)

4) Free Nano? Go for it! Man if you dont want it you can always send it here lol! You might as well just go for it and then sell it and put it towards anything you fancy like the New os or anything else shiny!

Hope that clears up a few things for you

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.