• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Robot Vacuum matches your Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
haha

I have a small army of these things and love them. I'm jealous now that this new version is out :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
We have a Roomba.... the thing is AWESOME!!!! I'm thinking about getting the one the washes/cleans tile and hardwood floors.

This my be the very first wave, in the robot's eventual attempt to one day conquer the world!! Buhahhahaa :D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Do you think they realize that the "iRobot" sounds very similar to "I, Robot" and that having a robot by that name makes it very, very ironic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Or like IRO-bot from the Co&Ca epic sci-fi rock opera!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Did anyone watch the video on that site?
haha, it taunts the yellow upright vacuum tossed in the closet as it vacuums by.
I saw one of those working at a Fry's; it didn't pick up a thing.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
That thing looks cooooool. Does it do a good job?

They clean the surface nicely, which is all most people really care about. They're not built to beat sand or grit out, though.

Reaction score
Well,

It sounds kinda creepy.

**Late at night, when all is sleeping, something slowly creaks open your door. ITS THE ROOMBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

No thanks,

Ill stick to my $1200 kirby,
mainly because it would make my animals go crazy.
But then again that could me fun for me on a boring day......

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
That thing looks cooooool. Does it do a good job?

Yes, it does a great job! The first thing you have to realize is that Roombas are surface cleaners, like Dust Busters, not deep cleaners like Dysons. You still need to use an upright vacuum to get deep into the carpet. What I always recommend to new Roomba owners is to vacuum their whole house really well with their upright before setting up the Roomba, then run the Roomba daily. That way you get the caked-in stuff out first, then the Roomba takes care of the surface stuff every day. I haven't vacuumed with my upright in about 4 months. My floors look great every day, it's like having a maid come in to clean! It's just a nice feeling to come home to clean, freshly-vacuumed carpets. It does equally well on hard surfaces too.

Another perk of having a Roomba is that it forces you to keep your room clean. If you leave socks, wires, or other tidbits on the floor, the Roomba will try to eat them like a regular vacuum and get stuck or choke. So in order to run the Roomba, you have to keep your rooms clean so that the Roomba can do it's thing without having any problems. Overall it has made my place much, much cleaner. Plus it's just dang cool to have a robot slave in my house :D

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
They clean the surface nicely, which is all most people really care about. They're not built to beat sand or grit out, though.

That's it exactly. It makes your floors look nice and feel good to walk on. I don't even use my upright anymore. The only other vacuum I use is my hand-vac for the stairs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Do you think they realize that the "iRobot" sounds very similar to "I, Robot" and that having a robot by that name makes it very, very ironic.

Eh, the movie came out after the company ;) Although those new Roombas are sporting that glowing orb in the center...hrm...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
We have a Roomba.... the thing is AWESOME!!!! I'm thinking about getting the one the washes/cleans tile and hardwood floors.

This my be the very first wave, in the robot's eventual attempt to one day conquer the world!! Buhahhahaa :D:D:D

Yeah, I've considered getting one of the mopping robots but (1) they are really expensive and (2) I have a tiny, tiny kitchen right now. Instead I use a Swiffer WetJet electric mop, it works perfectly in my bathrooms and small kitchen - fast and inexpensive. I spend maybe 10 minutes a week cleaning my floors, between pressing the "Clean" button on my Roombas, using the hand-vac on the stairs, and using the WetJet on the hard floors. I also use the Roombas on the hard floors like in the kitchen to vacuum before I mop. Yay for efficiency.

Someday I'd like to have a complete robot army...robotic vacuums, mop, lawnmower, and pool cleaner. Then I can sit around and surf the Mac Forums alllllll day long, muhahaha....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.