Switcher Stories!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
share your stories of switching!

Mine:

This is my own take on being a recent Switcher and/or convert:

I had always loved Apple's design even back in the days of the old types (early 90's?) When the Emac (colored?) design came out I thought it was quite an intrigueing idea. The commercials pushed the simplicity (remember the Jeff Goldblum comms,?) and the fun factor. Back then, I was using windows regularly as I had been since high schoool (graduated in '95- God I feel old sometimes!). I had no experience with Macs and had no real interest in switching because everything I did was on Windows. I suppose you could say I didn't know any better. I was used to system crashes, watching out for viruses and spam. Trying to make sure the computer had enough memory. I had virtual nightmares about lost .dll files from deleting/uninstalling, whatever programs I didn't use anymore.

The first time i ever touched a Mac was when I helped a guy I knew move and he had a iMac G3? the "half-globe" kind. My interest was greatly renewed and he remarked how the computer was fantastic and indeed simple. None the less i remained entrenched in my Windows world. But the seeds of revolt had been planted.:Evil: At this time (2002 i think) the fight over MP3 and music rights was in full swing and and I had several Gigs of music from the Napster Glory Days on my computer that I still had form April of 2000. I have my own opinions/beliefs/views on music on the Net, but that's another matter.

I enjoyed the computer I had, played games, burned countless CDs. upgraded the video card, CD drive and the network card (the latter less successfully after a storm) Then last Spring I started thinking about a new computer an was on Dell by default because the current PC was a Dell and I knew that we got a discount through my work (local hospital). So I started configuring. By then I was taking interest in the new iMac commercials as got quite a laugh whenever they were on. Esp. the "Crash" skit! unfortunately Apple didn't offer a discount to my employer. I always try to get the most I can when I spend money on things like this. So in configuring the Dell I got a 1800 machine for a little less than 1400. I was thrilled having been brought up to respect a good deal.

I was sorry a month later.

Stuck and unable to return the Dell, i now desperately wanted a Mac. All manner of crap was goin on. The 3rd party software for the optical drive was messsed up and need to be rectified. The IE would say something was missing whenever we closed it, the profile for my wife would not work correctly, and she hasn't used I since. I just got more and more frustrated. That was all it took for the Mac Seed to germinate. I now was dead-set on a Mac of some sort.

In the Fall of '06, I was starting engineering school and would be on the campus most of of the time. Fortunately My school had several iMacs in the library. And I got a little seat time. I waas so busy that I barely had time to really get used to them. I also noticed my mobility was limited because I had to use a desktop to log in to Bb and Logger Pro for chemistry. I decided what really needed was a notebook... it had begun.

More To Come.... ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.