Macbooks

Reaction score
I've liked macs quite a bit as we use them in school for random tasks, but I'm worried about putting serious money down on one. I bought a mini about a year ago and have been VERY disappointed with it. Granted, it was the core solo 1.5 ghz, but it's still ridiculously slow. It's gotten to where I just use it as a Window machine (a surprisingly fast windows machine at that) downstairs in my apartment for quick jumps on the internet. Still, I really like macs. Does anyone know anything about the 2.0 ghz/13inch macbook performance? I've read on macworld some performance specs, but they didn't really help me. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
they are pretty good-- as long as you have 2 gigs of ram. the 2.0 vs 2.16 speed does not matter much, not worth the cash. but honestly, if you have the cash, i would throw down for the MBP. The MB are staring to get dated, and IMO are ready for an update. I used a MB for about a year before I got my MBP. I was very impressed by the difference. It is like using a Scion, then switching to a Lexus. Sure they are both essentially Toyota's, but come on man, its a Lexus!

bottom line, the MB is an all set computer unless you need a power house.

OP
P
Reaction score
I really just need something for class work (which is why that 13inches looks so appealing). So long as I can smoothly open programs and work, I'm good (which is something my mini doesn't do). Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
Regarding your Mini, have you run any maintenance programs on it? I use Onyx (free on the Apple site in the Downloads section) and let it clean virtually everything. After restarting and patiently waiting for the databases to be updated, my MBP runs way faster than it used to. Just to get rid of the plethora of caches undoubtedly clogging the system (still using Onyx) is enough to give a speed boost to any mac that seems to be sluggish.

Re: the MB vs. the MBP, the MBP is worth the extra cash IMO, for the screen real estate alone. But overall the MBPs seem to be a better built machine (durability) from what I've experienced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.